April 21, 2019 | 62° F

Week in review: laurels and darts

Editorial

When people think of Princeton University, they generally think of the cream of the crop — not violations of animal rights. Apparently, however, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) found that Princeton’s treatment of monkeys used in research was far from perfect. Princeton committed six violations earlier this year and 11 in 2010. According to the group Stop Animal Exploitation Now!, Princeton has yet to clean up their act, as they’ve filed more complaints against Princeton on the animal rights front. The USDA will launch another investigation as a result. We dart Princeton for the violations they’ve committed to date, and we hope these new claims are misunderstandings.

****

It’s tough going to college these days. Not just in the sense that college life is hard, but also that enrolling in and affording college are in themselves difficult, especially considering the current economic climate and how terrible student loans are. Thankfully, there are avenues open to prospective students that are providing aid in these troubled times. See, for example, the new partnership between Gloucester County College (GCC) and Rowan University, which allows incoming first-year students the chance to dual enroll. That way, they can complete their associate degree at GCC and hop right on over to Rowan to earn a bachelor’s. We give this new partnership a laurel. It saves students money, while still allowing them the chance to attend institutes of higher education. That’s never a bad thing.

****

What is there to say about Ann Coulter that hasn’t been said already? Admittedly little, but she keeps giving us reasons to say it anyway. Coulter’s most recent absurdity comes in the form of her criticism of the decision to repeal Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell. In a blog post, Coulter said her position was not an “anti-gay position.” Instead, she argued, “it is a pro-military position,” on the grounds that “a battalion of married couples facing a small unit of heterosexual men would be slaughtered.” There is, of course, no evidence to back up Coulter’s claims, but we’ve all grown used to that by now, haven’t we? We give Coulter, unsurprisingly, a dart.

****

Perhaps politics won’t be a realm solely relegated to the men of the world much longer. In this November’s election, the number of women candidates in New Jersey has hit a record high. There are 20 women running for the state Senate seats, and 45 women are making attempts at the state Assembly. Of course, these statistics only speak for New Jersey, so maybe we shouldn’t jump to conclusions about the future of women in politics in general. Still, though, it’s easy to be excited about such news. We laurel all of these women for throwing their hats into the political ring. At this rate, equality should be well on its way, hopefully.

****

As an individual, you probably love the fact that there’s no sales tax on purchases you make online. Why hand 7 percent over to the state government when you can make a few clicks and avoid it completely? However, if you take a step back and look at the state as a whole, you may change your tune regarding the lack of sales tax on the Internet. According to a study by the University and the New Jersey Retail Merchant Association, the state missed out on $171 million in much needed tax revenue because of online sales. Unfortunately, that number is only going to get worse: By 2015, New Jersey will have lost $310 million in sales tax. Seeing as the state could use all the money it can get these days, we give the state legislature a dart for failing to follow in the footsteps of places like California, who have introduced Internet sales tax. It may not make the shoppers happy, but it’s better for everyone in the long run.

By Daily Targum