Week in review: laurels and darts

Editorial

Eating disorders are not funny — unless, apparently, you’re a Halloween costume company. Then they’re fair game. At least, that’s what Ricky’s, a chain of costume stores, would have you believe when they introduced the incredibly tasteless “Anna Rexia” costume. On the company’s website, the costume listing — which thankfully has since been removed — features a typically attractive blonde model, decked out in a skimpy black dress with a skeleton printed on it, wrapping a tape measurer around her waist. Why anyone would think this was a good idea is utterly beyond us. We’re happy to see that Ricky’s has apparently realized what a mistake they made, as they are no longer selling the costume following an uproar over it this week. Still, they receive a dart for even having it in the first place.

****

Many people — politicians and average folk alike — staunchly claimed that President Barack Obama’s overhaul of the health care system in America would never work. They jokingly dubbed it “Obamacare” and raised alarms about “death panels” which would kill all of our grandparents. But contrary to all the naysayers, it seems that Obama’s health care program is actually bringing about some good results. As a result of the new health care law that allows people to stay on their parents’ plans until the age of 26, the number of uninsured young adults has dropped by close to one million people. Last year, 10 million people between the ages of 19 and 25 were uninsured. That number is currently down to about 9.1 million. This is a tremendous victory, and Obama receives a laurel for achieving it.

****

Michael Lapidus, the New Brunswick Parking Authority’s (NBPA) operations manager, was indicted earlier this week on charges of official misconduct, failure to deposit parking receipts and tampering with computer records. Lapidus stole more than $24,000 in parking fees from the NBPA before getting caught. We’re happy to see that he has been apprehended, and we eagerly await to hopefully impending serving of justice. Lapidus had a duty to the citizens of New Brunswick, and he failed them. For that, he receives a dart, as do the six other employees of the NBPA who have been charged thus far for their involvement in the theft of over $100,000. Frankly, the conduct of these employees reflects poorly on the NBPA as a whole.

****

Students milling about the Rutgers Student Center on the College Avenue campus on Tuesday may have been surprised to see New Brunswick Mayor Jim Cahill lounging with his lunch and chatting with the people. The visit was part of a new “Lunch with the Mayor” initiative, which Cahill hopes will allow him to come into close contact with a broader audience in an informal setting. We think Cahill’s initiative is a great idea. It’s definitely a resource that students should look to take advantage of in the future. How often does one get the chance to sit down with an important public official and talk one-on-one? We give Cahill a laurel for actively engaging with his public.

****

By now, you’ve undoubtedly heard of Troy Davis, a convict on death row who became the cause of heated protests this week as his execution neared. Many people believe Davis to be completely innocent of the crimes charged to him because of a lack of physical evidence and the mysterious fact that seven people who originally testified against him have since retracted their statements. Even though these people and Davis himself fought vehemently for an appeal, the state of Georgia didn’t allow it. Davis was executed yesterday, prompting many to decry the situation as a failure of the justice system. This was definitely an instance wherein the court had a lot of important evidence that they needed to consider, yet they failed to do so. For that, we give the court a dart. For all we know, an innocent man may have been killed.

By The Daily Targum