July 21, 2019 | 92° F

Word on the Street

The Rutgers women’s soccer team received votes yesterday in the National Soccer Coaches Association of America poll.

After a pair of 1-0 weekend wins over Yale and Dartmouth, Rutgers earned three votes from the NSCAA.

The Knights are 5-2, with both losses coming to top-10 teams. The squad tries to keep moving up the rankings when it opens its Big East schedule Friday against Villanova.

Boise State received the final rulings on sanctions against the university for NCAA violations involving over 75 prospects and athletes across five sports.

The football team will offer nine less scholarships through the 2013-14 season, and for the next three spring training periods must hold fewer contact practices.

All of the penalties are in addition to the self-imposed sanctions that were implemented earlier this year by Boise State.

The Mets angered MLB Commissioner Bud Selig when they revealed the league rejected their proposal to wear hats honoring the first responders to the events of 9/11.

Selig called the Mets on Sunday night, saying they threw his office “under the bus” and greatly embarrassed baseball executives.

MLB officials claim the reason the Mets could not wear the hats was due to uniformity, saying all of baseball had to honor the first responders in the same way.    

Tom Brady became the first quarterback since Boomer Esiason in 1996 to throw for more than 500 yards when he did so on Monday night in a 38-24 win over the Miami Dolphins.

Brady completed 32-of-48 passes for 517 yards, including a 99-yard touchdown pass to receiver Wes Welker.

Out-dueling fellow ex-Michigan Wolverine quarterback Chad Henne, Brady achieved the fifth-highest number of passing yards in NFL history.

The game shatters Brady’s previous career high of 410 yards.

Manny Ramirez was released from Broward County jail yesterday after being charged with domestic battery.

The former Major League Baseball star allegedly hit his wife, Juliana, with an open hand Monday night and was arrested after she called 911.

Ramirez’s wife reported the couple got into a heated argument, culminating with Ramirez striking her.