Word on the Street

A pair of former Scarlet Knights football players scored twice in the NFL’s opening weekend.

Running back Ray Rice accounted for two touchdowns in the Baltimore Ravens’ 35-7 win against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Rice tacked on a team-leading 107 rushing yards for the Ravens.

Former Knights wide receiver Kenny Britt scored the only two touchdowns for the Tennessee Titans.

Britt led the team with 136 receiving yards, but the Titans still fell to the Jacksonville Jaguars, 16-14.

Although Oklahoma is only two weeks into its football season, the Sooners already accomplished an accolade by topping the Associated Press poll for the 100th time since 1936, when the poll began.

The Sooners bring their No. 1 ranking to their biggest non-conference game of the season next Saturday against No. 5 Florida State.

Oklahoma received 32 first-place votes and 1,441 points from the media panel.

New York Yankees prospect Jesus Montero made his first start at catcher yesterday for the Bronx Bombers.

Manager Joe Girardi did not plan on starting Montero since his September call-up, but Girardi put Montero in at catcher due to injuries to Russell Martin and Francisco Cervelli.

Girardi hesitated to start Montero due to the catcher’s lack of familiarity with the Yankees pitching staff, according to the Newark Star-Ledger.

But Montero had worked with yesterday’s starting pitcher Freddy Garcia previously in the pitcher’s rehab start.

The Dallas Cowboys made sure tight end Jason Witten would be a Cowboy for life with a five-year contract extension.

Witten’s deal is worth $37 million and includes $19 million guaranteed.

The Tennessee product had two years left on his current contract and was set to hit the open market in 2013.

He will conclude his previous deal, signed in 2006 worth $29.5 million, with $12 million guaranteed, the largest contract ever for a tight end at the time.

Witten is coming off a 94-catch, 1,002-yard season for the Cowboys.

By The Daily Targum