Barry Deloatch’s sons speak out at city rally

4ea50ccc65047.image
Photo by Jennifer Miguel-HelLman |

About 100 community members, including students, protest against police brutality Saturday, one month after the shooting of city resident Barry Deloatch.

A month after an officer from the New Brunswick Police Department shot a city man, around 100 community members and University students convened at Feaster Park Saturday for a rally against police brutality.

Across the street, Barry Deloatch’s two sons, Barry Deloatch Jr. and Barry Gavin talked about the loss of their father in front of the alley where he was shot at 105 Throop Ave.

“I’m still dealing with this every day. This is very hard dealing with the loss of my dad,” said the 33-year-old Gavin. “I just want to see justice served. Then everything will fall into place.”

Barry Deloatch Jr., 22, said he thinks the city of New Brunswick has not responded to the incident properly.

“There’s so much happening out here on the street. They shrug it off as just another black [man] being killed,” he said.

Walter Hudson, spokesman for the Deloatch family, said Mayor Jim Cahill did not send a letter of condolence to the sons or pay for Deloatch’s funeral expenses like he asked for at a city council meeting.

Deloatch was shot on Sept. 22 after police stopped him and another man for questioning around 12:10 a.m., according to Middlesex County Prosecutor Bruce Kaplan.

A single bullet entered Deloatch’s side and pierced his aorta after he ran from police, he said in a statement.

No results of the investigation have been released to the public as 38 items were sent to outside labs for forensic analysis. Among these was a bullet recovered from the scene and the gun that was fired.

The names of the officers involved in the incident have not been released but both were placed on administrative leave pending the investigation, Kaplan said.

The Latino Leadership Alliance of New Jersey in a review of NBPD force conduct named two officers, Brad Berdel and Dan Mazan, to be involved with the incident.

“The family has no official word [on the shooter]. I wish we could ask the mayor,” he said.

Hudson said he is happy state police are also following the case, who will recreate the scene for the investigation.

“It’s a very good thing, if and when this is done, and it shows an inconsistency of the officer’s report. I’m calling for Cahill and the Chief of Police’s resignation,” he said.

Gavin said he was happy to see everyone at the rally convene for his dad and fight for justice, including University students.

Joel Salvino, a School of Arts and Sciences representative for the Rutgers University Student Assembly who attended the rally, said the way New Brunswick police officers treat students is unfair.

He said he heard of too many accounts of beating and mistreatment of students. Because of this and the Deloatch shooting, RUSA passed a resolution denouncing the NBPD’s actions.

“We’re all part of the same town and they should treat us like people,” Salvino said, a School of Arts and Sciences junior. “They view us as an ATM.”

Tormel Pitmann, who has been leading rallies every day since the shooting, said people need to fight for justice every day.

“This is a movement. It doesn’t go on for a day, it might be forever,” he said. “When I get out [of] my bed, I fight for justice,” he said.

Gavin hopes the people showing their support will continue to show up in the winter months.

“I know it’s going to get cold, but keep protesting. We need your support,” he said to the crowd.

Also present at the rally was Bruce Morgan, president of New Brunswick’s National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

He said his organization was present in correspondence with the National Day of Outrage to register voters so people can enact the change they want to see.

“We’re here to empower people to do their civic duty,” he said. “We go where the people go.”

By Amy Rowe