March 19, 2019 | 31° F

Daily review: laurels and darts

Editorial

Despite the economic shambles in which our country is currently floundering, a lot of people still favor the “if you’re unemployed, go get a job” narrative. Of course, it isn’t that easy in reality, thanks to the fairly common practice of businesses refusing to consider applicants who have been out of work for extended periods of time. A survey by the National Employment Law Project discovered more than 150 job listings on employment websites excluding candidates who were not currently employed. Fortunately for the unemployed, a provision in President Barack Obama’s jobs plan would make this sort of screening illegal for companies with 15 or more employees. It’s just another reason to laurel the American Jobs Act. That’s how you level the playing field.

Members of the hotly contested “Occupy Wall Street” protests have been calling for the type of economic reforms Obama has been speaking of recently — consider, for example, the “Buffet Rule.” Strangely enough, however, Obama has been cautious about throwing full support behind these protestors. Instead, he’s gone the more tepid route of explaining that he understands their concerns about Wall Street’s refusals to play by the rules without explicitly backing or denouncing the movement itself. We think it’s high time Obama take a stand, either for or against. For not doing so, we give Obama a dart. You cannot please everyone, and now certainly is not the time try.

By The Daily Targum