March 25, 2019 | 50° F

Daily review: laurels and darts

Editorial

Halloween is supposed to be a fun time for children, a time to dress up and, for once, safely accept candy from strangers. In order to ensure the safety of these young trick-or-treaters — i.e., make sure taking candy from strangers remains a viable option for the holiday — legislators of Riverside County in California are considering a measure that would effectively shut sex offenders out of Halloween festivities altogether. If passed, the measure would ban register sex offenders from putting up decorations at their home or answering the door for trick-or-treaters. We would like to see this pass, because it will help to make Halloween a much safer holiday for all. We laurel the supervisors in Riverside County for considering this idea, and we would like to see it spread to other places in America.

****

Former Pennsylvania senator and current Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum has a problem with single mothers. According to him, they are enemies of the Republican party, because they look to the government for help and thus support the Democrats’ supposed “big government agenda.” And what’s Santorum’s solution to the problem? Marry off the single mothers. Once they have a man in their lives, they’ll be sure to vote Republican. It’s good to know that, in Santorum’s world, women are abject failures who cannot take care of themselves and need the aid of the government or a husband in order to survive in the world. We dart Santorum for his absurdly backward notions about women.

By The Daily Targum