May 24, 2019 | 62° F

Daily review: laurels and darts

Editorial

Facebook is for more than just fun and games now. According to a study done by researchers at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and the University of Washington, Seattle, Facebook is also useful as a tool for screening people for drinking problems. In the study, researchers divided 300 undergraduate Facebook profiles into three groups — those whose profiles contained no references to alcohol, those whose profiles reference alcohol, but not drunkenness and those whose profiles referenced phrases like “being drunk” and “getting wasted.” Then, the owners of the profiles completed the Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test. According to the results, the group of profiles with references to drunkenness had an average score of 9.5, which suggests people in this group were at risk for a drinking problem. We give the researchers a laurel for shining a new light on the uses of social media.

****

Credit and debit card fraud in the United States was responsible for 47 percent of the total worldwide losses to fraud last year — all because, unlike their counterparts in Asia and Europe, U.S. banks have been slow to adapt stricter security features, which would deter such fraud. Many experts blamed the United States’ slow pace to the fact that the technologies foreign banks adopted is rather expensive, and U.S. banks are hesitant to spend the money. We dart these banks for putting profits before the people. Besides, wouldn’t preventing fraud end up saving these banks money in the long run?

By The Daily Targum