May 22, 2019 | 66° F

Daily review: laurels and darts

Editorial

Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-Minn., is trying rather hard to become the Republican Party’s presidential nominee. Unfortunately for her, she just cannot help shooting herself in the foot, so to speak. Bachmann’s latest slip-up is geographical in nature. Expressing discontent with President Barack Obama’s decision to send 100 U.S. troops to Uganda, Bachmann asserted, “the president, he put us in Libya. He is now putting us in Africa. We already were stretched too thin.” Apparently, Bachmann doesn’t know where Libya is. Questions of policy aside, how does Bachmann expect the voters to take her seriously if she is unaware of basic world geography? We give Bachmann a dart for making such an error. We’d prefer all of our potential presidents to be at least somewhat aware of what’s going on outside of U.S. borders.

****

Those of us who spent Hurricane Irene on the banks of the Raritan River can vouch for just how impressive and damaging the flooding was. Some people have grown tired of just accepting the flooding as inevitable and dealing with it. Thus, seven Somerset County municipalities have formed the Millstone and Raritan Rivers Flood Control Commission. The goal of the commission is to study the flood patterns of the two rivers, which the commission hopes will lead to new developments to protect against future flooding. We give the commission a laurel, and we look forward to seeing what sort of work it will do. We don’t expect the commission to totally stop flooding, obviously. But we are excited to see just what will happen.

By The Daily Targum