Janosz earns big east attention after two clean sheets

4e93b9a8051d0.image
Photo by Noah Whittenburg |

Junior Jess Janosz, left, posted consecutive shutouts in her first two career starts over the weekend at Yurcak Field.

After making the first two starts of her career last weekend against DePaul and Notre Dame, junior goalkeeper Jess Janosz also earned her first collegiate distinction.

The Rutgers women’s soccer team’s 6-foot netminder posted two clean sheets in as many games. In return, the Big East Conference named Janosz its Goalkeeper of the Week.

“She was there for everything we needed her to be there for,” said junior back Shannon Woeller. “I felt very confident with her behind me and I thought she did an awesome job.”

Janosz made seven saves against DePaul on Friday in her first career start, which allowed freshman Stefanie Scholz to notch the game-winner early in the second half.

The Ringwood, N.J., native rejected another five shots Sunday against defending national champion Notre Dame, including three in the game’s first overtime. Janosz outlasted the Irish attack in the period and shut down the opposition in the second overtime, ending the game in a scoreless tie.

The shutout, the team’s sixth this season, marked the first Rutgers clean sheet against Notre Dame since Oct. 22, 2004. It could not occur at a better time for Janosz and the Scarlet Knights.

The Knights are now tied for fifth in the Big East’s National Division and boast two effective goalkeepers in Janosz and Emmy Simpkins.

“It definitely was the best feeling to get it against Notre Dame,” Janosz said of her second shutout.

By Anthony Hernandez