Pair of Knights miss action on duty with canadian national team

4e9fb23e6529a.image
Photo by Conor Alwell |

Freshman forward Amy Pietrangelo notched her first career international goal on Tuesday for the Canadian National Team in a 3-1 victory against Costa Rica.

Rutgers women’s soccer players Amy Pietrangelo and Shannon Woeller will be away from the Banks this weekend as both compete in the Pan American Games for the Canadian National Team.

As a result, the duo will not play in the team’s regular-season finale Friday against Seton Hall, a game that determines the Scarlet Knights’ postseason fate.

But despite their absences, Pietrangelo, a freshman forward, and Woeller, a junior back, gain invaluable international experience competing in Guadalajara, Mexico.

Pietrangelo proved the biggest benefactor in Canada’s game against Costa Rica on Tuesday, as the Quebec, Canada, native notched her first career international goal.

The score helped Canada to a 3-1 victory and sets the team up for its second game of the tournament today at 11 a.m. against Argentina.

Pietrangelo previously played in three international matches for Canada before scoring her first goal in the 82nd minute against Costa Rica.

The Knights rookie recorded one goal and two assists for head coach Glenn Crooks this season while averaging 43.67 minutes in games she played.

On the defensive side of the field and in her fifth international appearance, Woeller put together a stout performance, logging all 90 minutes of game action.

The Vancouver native averages more than 90 minutes a game this season for the Knights.

Following its match against Argentina, the Canadian National Team faces Brazil at 9 a.m. Saturday at Estadio Omnilife.

— Anthony Hernandez