Participate in RUSA vote

It’s fall once again. The wind is biting harder, the workloads are increasing, and Rutgers University Student Assembly fall elections are at hand. I understand, dear reader, if you were unaware that election season was opening up, or if you were not planning on voting. However — and I cannot stress this enough — it is very important that you and all of your friends cast your ballots.

RUSA is your voice at the University. RUSA is charged with airing your grievances to the University administration and pushing for your interests with state and federal legislators. We cannot do this unless we know where you stand.

The process is very simple. Go to ruassembly.com and cast your ballot on Oct. 4 before midnight. Once you log in, you can vote for senators-at-large, students who will sit on the University Senate alongside faculty, staff and administrators. You can also vote on representatives, depending on your campus. For instance, if you live on Livingston campus, you can vote for Livingston representatives.

In the time it took you to read this description, you could have just cast a ballot of your own. So what’s stopping you? If none of the names on your ballot sound familiar, I suppose you are lucky that you live in the digital age. Research the candidates. Many of them have already left their mark on campus.

Democracy, it’s often said, doesn’t trickle down from the top, it rises up from the bottom. RUSA is going to have a hugely productive year. We already have a voter registration drive underway, the beginning of “What’s on Your Mind” Month, plans for a series of town hall meetings in mid-October and the groundwork for a Student Empowerment Conference in November. We are working to maintain a statewide student association, meeting with administration on your behalf and researching ways to make textbooks more affordable. We have a busy and productive year ahead of us, and I look forward to meeting and working with the student leaders elected tomorrow. All I need you to do is one thing. Vote.

John Connelly is a School of Arts and Sciences junior majoring in history and political science with a minor in social justice. He is the vice president of the Rutgers University Student Assembly.

Correction: An earlier version of this letter stated that voting ends Oct. 5. Voting ends Oct 4 at 11:59 p.m.

By John?Connelly