July 16, 2019 | 85° F

U. makes right choice in limiting admissions

Editorial

The University has a reputation as being a big school, which makes sense given its status as a public university. After all, public schools always attract larger student bodies than their private counterparts. For the past few years, however, the University’s population has been growing even larger and causing some problems — overcrowded buses, dishearteningly large lecture sections and a shortage of housing, to name just a few. In order to deal with this, the administration decided to become more selective with the admissions process. While the current acceptance rate is 58 percent, the administration wants to slash that by 4 percent. In the words of Courtney McAnuff, vice president of Enrollment Management, “[W]e’re at capacity with transportation, in classrooms and financial-aid wise. We need to slow growth.”

The decision to limit the incoming classes may not be well received by prospective students, and understandably so. The last thing they want to hear is that it will be harder for them to get into a state school like the University. Despite these contestations, the administration has absolutely made the right decision to scale back the number of accepted students. To put it simply: We’re running out of facilities and services. Our faculty and staff can only handle so many students before the quality of a University education starts to slip. Sure, a higher acceptance rate means more tuition dollars, but keep in mind that those tuition dollars go right back to providing for the students. If there are too many of them, no amount of tuition money will be able to keep up with the increased demands on University resources.

As the New Brunswick campus tightens the admissions process, prospective students can and should look to the lesser utilized Newark and Camden campuses. These campuses are often passed over by applicants, but they do have similar educational resources as the New Brunswick campus, with the added benefit that these resources are nowhere near as strained under the weight of such demand.

A more selective admissions process is better for everyone. It will prevent the University from stretching itself too thin, thereby retaining the integrity of its educational abilities. It will also enable University services, such as transportation and dining, to more effectively serve the student body. Even prospective students who may bemoan the change should recognize the value of it — if they are accepted, they will be going a school that is capable of providing the college experience that they deserve.

By The Daily Targum