April 26, 2019 | 59° F

Week in review: laurels and darts

Editorial

Tea party favorite and semi-politician Sarah Palin announced earlier this week that she would not be making a bid for the Republican Party’s presidential nomination in the upcoming 2012 election, much to the delight of many. All those spectators waiting up to this moment with bated breath can now take a sigh of relief. Throughout most of her time in the limelight, Palin has done very little to make herself seem like a good choice to lead the nation — sure, she seemed serious, but not good. In an admittedly roundabout way, then, we find ourselves handing a laurel to Palin for her decision to bow out somewhat gracefully. That’s one less potential candidate to worry about as the election draws near.

****

Legislators in Mexico City devised an interesting plan to deal with the high divorce rates in the city: a temporary marriage license. The proposed licenses would grant two-year marriages to those who receive them. At the end of the two-year period, if the parties involved find themselves dissatisfied, the license terminates, and they can walk away without clogging the already filled courts with yet another divorce case. We understand that divorces are a drain on legal resources in Mexico City, but these temporary licenses seem like a bad idea from a more personal perspective. People who receive them are essentially setting their marriages up for failure by imposing arbitrary timelines on their nuptials before they begin. Divorce is obviously a tool to which some couples need recourse, but why encourage temporary marriages? We give the lawmakers pushing this bill a dart. It may make political sense, but it doesn’t make too much personal sense.

****

The world lost a good man on Wednesday night when Steve Jobs, co-founder and chairman of Apple, died. As far as businessmen and tech wizards go, Jobs was a bit of a celebrity. No matter who you are — and whether or not you use Apple’s products — you know who Jobs is. One cannot help but mourn the death of such a visionary. He was a man whose products became part of American culture, signifiers of our lifestyles. Few people are as intelligent, motivated and creative as Jobs was, and we will miss him dearly. We give him a laurel for all of his handwork and dedication over the years. Rest in peace, Steve Jobs.

****

The job of any good police force is to protect and serve. According to Atlantic City Mayor Lorenzo Langford, however, citizens in casino parking lots have forfeited their rights to this service. Langford has ordered officers to stop patrolling casino parking garages. Oddly enough, this comes in the wake of a Sept. 18 attack in the Trump Taj Mahal garage, in which a man was killed. In fact, two people have been killed in carjackings at the Trump Taj Mahal in the past 16 months. Lorenzo claims that he’s ordering the patrols to stop because the government’s duty is to the citizens “first and foremost.” Are people in parking garages not included in the conception of citizens? Also, we feel the need to point out that Deputy Chiefs Ernest Jubilee and Henry White stated that surveilling the garages would not drain money or manpower from the Atlantic City Police. We dart Langford for ordering the patrols to cease. Police protection should be available to everyone.

****

The status of pensions for public employees has been hotly contested since the recession struck in 2008. Gov. Chris Christie and his administration have taken serious steps to overhaul and effectively save the pension system with the signing into law on Wednesday of a brand new plan to restructure the system. This overhaul, though not exactly a crowd pleaser, is supposed to save $267 million in pension costs for local governments in New Jersey by making public employees shoulder more of the weight of said costs. While it is by no means an ideal solution, it does save the pension system from collapse, as well as ease the monetary pressure on already ailing governments. We give Christie a laurel.

By The Daily Targum