Rutgers’ season ends with round of 16 loss at ucla

The Rutgers men’s soccer team’s season came to an end last night, and UCLA forced it to play catch-up for its final 89 minutes.

The 13th-seeded Bruins beat the Scarlet Knights, 3-0, in Los Angeles, where they opened the scoring 41 seconds into the Sweet 16 matchup of the NCAA?Tournament.

Junior forward Chandler Hoffman capitalized on a Patrick Matchett cross less than a minute into the game to put Rutgers in an early deficit.

The Knights rallied from behind in a win against fourth-seeded Boston?College in the previous round and responded in kind at UCLA.

Rutgers took four of the next five shots, but only one was on target and?UCLA goalkeeper Brian?Rowe was up to task.

Rutgers goalkeeper Kevin?McMullen made three saves in the first half, but UCLA sophomore forward Victor Chavez capitalized on a rebound after one of them to give the Bruins a 2-0 lead entering the half.

Hoffman scored again in the 48th minute, one-timing a cross, to give UCLA a 3-0 lead and complete control of the contest.

Rutgers’ flurry of shots in the final 42 minutes rarely found the net and did little to spark a comeback.

The loss ends a near-flawless run of 10 games for the Knights, which went 7-2-2 after an early October overtime loss at No. 2 Maryland.

Rutgers’ only losses were against UCLA and Connecticut in the Big?East Tournament, which did not stop Rutgers from qualifying for its first NCAA?Tournament berth since 2006.

— Staff Report

Comments

Rules of Conduct
  • 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.