Daily review: laurels and darts

Editorial

Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton delivered a speech to the United Nations yesterday in which she warned the world that the United States would not stand for gay rights violations in foreign countries. Although there was no talk of how exactly the United States would enforce this policy, Clinton made it clear that through diplomacy and foreign assistance, the United States would fight for universal gay rights. “Gay rights are human rights, and human rights are gay rights,” Clinton asserted in her speech. We give her a laurel for delivering the speech, and we give President Barack Obama’s administration as a whole a laurel for taking such a strong stand. Now, if only we could solve all of the gay rights problems here at home.

****

Around 60 Indonesian immigrants living in New Jersey are facing deportation as a result of overstaying their visas here. However, the problem is that most of these immigrants came to New Jersey in the 1990s to escape the chaos, which ensued when the rule of Suharto ended. Since that time, many of these people have built lives here in the United States — after all, it has been more than a decade since many of them arrived. They have jobs here. They are raising children here. It seems startlingly cold for the government to uproot these people suddenly and cast them out. Luckily, people are not taking this news lightly. Some are even staging protests in favor of the Indonesian immigrants. The Reformed Church of Highland Park held a vigil yesterday for those facing imminent deportation. We give a dart to the immigration authorities for lacking the necessary protocol to handle a situation like this. What these people need is a path to citizenship, not to be thrown out of their houses.

By The Daily Targum