Recruiting class draws from power programs

The Rutgers women’s lacrosse team officially received eight commitments yesterday in head coach Laura Brand-Sias’s 2012 recruiting class.

Garnet Valley (Pa.) attack Halley Barnes, who ESPN named the No. 5 attacker in the country, headlines the group, which draws mostly from New Jersey. The class also features New York, Maryland and Pennsylvania natives.

“Halley is a natural competitor,” Brand-Sias said. “When the game is on the line, she wants the ball and she gets it done. Her athleticism and game sense make her a very diverse player, and I can see her role expanding during her time as a Scarlet Knight.”

Barnes is one of three attackers in the recruiting class, but she is also listed as a midfielder. There are three other midfielders in the class along with a defender and a goalkeeper.

Amanda Currell joins the Knights after starting in net for Moorestown High School, which ranked 11th nationally last year, for the past two seasons.

Teammate Nikki McMonagle also joins Rutgers by way of Moorestown, where she scored 47 goals and assisted 30 times as an attacker last season on the Group 3 State Championship team.

“Nikki has broken out over the last year,” Brand-Sias said. “She is a go-to player for a nationally rated program, and I expect her to grow even more over her senior season. Her presence around the cage and her tenacity in the ride are exciting.”

Fellow attack Kim Kolodny also joins Rutgers after playing for a successful high school program. Kolodny played four years at Farmingdale High School (N.Y.), where she won a pair of state titles and a national title at the club level.

“Kim will arrive at Rutgers having been the leading scorer at a perennial powerhouse,” Brand-Sias said. “Her ability to work around the cage looks effortless, and I think the sky is the limit with her potential. Her vision in the offensive end will fit into our system well.”

Midfielder Madeline Hulsey is the only other out-of-state player in the eight-member class after starting the past four years at Annapolis Area Christian School (Md.). Hulsey led the country with 100 points as a senior on 65 goals and 35 assists. She set a league record as a junior with 175 draw controls.

Fair Haven Regional defender Addington Elliot, the Peddie School midfielder Taylor Pennell and St. Anthony’s midfielder Chrissy Schreiber make up the rest of the class.

Elliot is the only defender of the group joining a team that finished last season 9-7 with a 9.06 goals against average.

“Addie is one of the hardest working athletes I have seen,” Brand-Sias said. “Her one versus one defense is extremely strong, and she excels every time I see her. I am excited for her potential on the Banks.”

Staff Report