Business association plans pageant

Contest to feature dance rountine, talent show, interview portion

In response to student requests for a pageant, the Rutgers Business Governing Association is working on a show that will judge contestants not only on their beauty but on their talents and smarts as well.

The association plans to hold a “Mr. and Miss Business School” pageant on March 27, an event that aims to include a coordinated dance, a talent show and a chance for students to learn to be professional in the work place.

The organization adopted the idea for the event after a number of Rutgers Business School students said they wanted an event similar to the School of Engineering and Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy’s pageant show, said Louis Catizone, marketing representative for the association.

Catizone, a Rutgers Business School junior, said the group is working to find 16 potential contestants for the event — eight men and eight women. Only juniors and seniors are eligible to compete for the 16 spots.

“We’re obviously looking for someone who has an entertainment factor,” he said. “But we also want someone who can be professional and a good example for the audience to follow.”

May Chiu, Rutgers Business Governing Association secretary, will lead the organization of the event alongside a group of 10 students.

A portion of the event includes a pageant fashion show, which is designed to help students learn the kinds of attire to wear and how to stay professional in the workplace, said Bryan Nachwalter, sophomore class representative for the association.

Other activities include a coordinated dance, a talent portion and question and answer session with a panel of judges, Chiu said.

The panel will consist of a professor, a member of the school’s dean’s office, and a member of the association, said Nachwalter, a Rutgers Business School sophomore.

He said the committee does not know exactly what questions they would ask, but that they have a variety of categories in mind.

“We’re thinking of asking a few riddles and some questions about behavior during interviews,” Nachwalter said. “There will also be some questions where we give the contestant a random object and they have to try to market it.”

After the contestants perform, the audience will pick their four favorites. From these, the judges will choose a winner, Chiu said. They will be scored on an 80-point scale on which judges will look to see whether or not the person met the requirements to win the contest.

Chiu said Mr. or Miss Business School should embody the characteristics of creativity, humor and intelligence.

Although set questions have not be made for the event, she said the association plans to ask unconventional questions that will make students think.

“[For example,] if you were the size a nickel and if you were put into a blender, how would get out?” she said.

By Rina Mody