June 18, 2019 | 75° F

Daily review: laurels and darts

Editorial

Republican presidential hopeful Newt Gingrich told a crowd in Florida last week that by 2020, he would have an American moon base established. He also told that crowd that he would like to see the development of commercial space industry. While Gingrich has received a lot of criticism for these outlandish ideas — including a jab from competitor Mitt Romney, in which he stated “If I had a business executive come to me and say they wanted to spend a few hundred billion dollars to put a colony on the moon, I’d say, ‘You’re fired’” — he’s sticking steadfastly to them. During an appearance on ABC’s “This Week” yesterday, Gingrich reasserted his belief in establishing colonies on the moon. While we admire his confidence, we have to give Gingrich a dart for turning his eyes to the moon while a sizable portion of us languish here on earth.

****

As part of a weeklong challenge posed by the Three Square Food Bank in Las Vegas, Nev., the city’s mayor, Carolyn Goodman, is living on less than $4.06 per day. This decidedly paltry sum is equivalent to the amount that a single person on food stamps receives for their daily living expenses. Goodman has been blogging about her experiences, keeping updates on the difficulties of her temporary lifestyle. The purpose of the challenge is “to let people understand this, so we protect the benefits and they don’t get cut or lessened,” according to Three Squares spokesman John Livingston. We give Goodman a laurel for doing something that very few public officials would do — experience firsthand the hardships of the average person’s life. We also give the Three Squares Food Bank a laurel for raising awareness about this serious issue.

By The Daily Targum