New Jersey Film Festival: Spring 2012 Preview

As we welcome the new semester, so too we welcome the return of the New Jersey International Film Festival. This spring, the festival is dishing out an arsenal of engaging feature films, intriguingly informative documentaries, delightful shorts, eye-catching animations and mind-bending experimental movies.

Running from Jan. 20 to March 1, the festival will be showing a collection of unique feature films. In the dark, romantic comedy Calendar Girl, the main character suspects that an infamous Calender Girl killer, notorious for murdering beautiful women monthly, to be following her. Another feature to watch out for is the hauntingly mesmerizing, It's in the Blood. This frightening journey explores elements of the "creature" through the blending of psychological thrillers and mysticism.

If documentaries are your cup of tea, the NJIFF is far from short of them. The Bull Runners of Pamplona tracks the stories of a group of dedicated individuals who commit their lives to running with the bulls of Pamplona, Spain. These men put their lives in harm's way in order to fulfill a personal, spiritual exodus. This informative documentary highlights the devotion that people exhibit when taking on daring feats. In addition, the documentary Dog Poo illuminates the history and facts of dog poo around the world

The variety only gets better. A number of animated movies are screening at the festival, like the surreal animated short film, Intermission Time, in which a concession clerk at a movie theatre decides to put on his very own show when everyone is away. Another short film is Less than Nothing. This movie follows a man named Kevin, who has a great job, loving wife and seemingly perfect life. However things change when he falls in love with an old flame of his and is forced to choose. Don't miss Ghost of Old Highways, a surreal short film set during the Civil War, in which a man must hunt down and kills previous versions of himself as a sort of coming to terms with the past.

In addition, on March 1 the festival will be screening the classic 1966 John Frankenheimer Masterpiece, Seconds. Combining chilling music, and memorable cinematography, this psychological thriller is about a man who is offered a new face and body in order to start a new life.

Films are shown at 7 p.m. in the Voorhees Hall Room 105 on the College Avenue campus. Tickets are $8 for Rutgers Film Co-Op/NJMAC friends, $9 for students and seniors and $10 for general admission. For more information about tickets, times, location and the entire schedule, visit njfilmfest.com

Alex Natanzon