Groups host Engineering Week to educate prospective students

The School of Engineering and the Engineering Governing Council are teaming together to promote engineering among prospective students during National Engineering Week. They will be hosting events this week from Feb. 20-24 at the Busch Campus Center.

“The main goal is to raise awareness of engineering to prospective students and the Rutgers community,” said Parth Oza, the council president. “We want to have a fun environment where everyone can work on solving problems and learn things while having a good time.”

To plan this year’s Engineering Week at the University, the School of Engineering created a committee consisting of deans, staff members, an e-week chair and himself, said Oza, a School of Engineering senior.

Each day multiple events will be held to encourage students to learn more about engineering, said Dhruti Patel, the engineering e-week chair and a senator for the council.

The week kicks off, Monday with tours of the different engineering organizations and departments of the University’s School of Engineering.

There will be a “Destination ImagiNation” program on Tuesday where students will compete in problem-solving activities, said Patel, a School of Engineering senior.

“‘Destination ImagiNation’ is a way to get students involved in educational programs related to science. They will work together to solve problems and challenges that different judges will give them,” said Jay Ravaliya, the secretary of the council.

Patel said the “Novel Engineering Regional Design” — or “NERD Olympics” — will be the largest event of the week and feature 11 activities taking place in the multipurpose room of the Busch Campus Center. The “NERD Olympics” is funded by Busch deans, Patel said.

Starting at 10 a.m. on Thursday, there will be a tower-building competition, a textbook relay race, an egg drop competition and a catapult competition. The tower-building competition, which gives students only gumdrops and spaghetti to work with, will also be a test of their engineering skills, Oza said.

Patel said it is important for the participants to understand the properties of the materials that are given to the teams and how to utilize the materials to build a tower for optimal strength.

The council will host its first annual cardboard boat race on Thursday at 8 p.m. in the Sonny Werblin Recreation Center pool, Oza said.

Ravaliya, a School of Engineering junior, said students will have to take the physics into account for the cardboard boat race.

“They’ll think about how much they weigh, how much of the boat will sink and what design of the boat will be most efficient,” he said.

“I am most excited for the cardboard boat races. It is an event where teams of two will get about an hour to build a boat out of only a cardboard box and duct tape and then race it across the Werblin pool,” said Vetri Velan, a class representative for the council.

The week will conclude with an invite-only dinner where the council will give awards to faculty and staff during a black-tie affair, Oza said.

By Elizabeth Kearns