RUPA brings comedy in ‘Love Affair’ dinner

4f3b3f4c4b29a.image
Photo by Evan Klimkowski |

YouTube personality Eric O’Shea performs a comedy routine in a “Love Affair” dinner and comedy routine Tuesday, hosted by the Rutgers University Programming Associaton at the Livingston Student Center.

YouTube personality Eric O’Shea shared Valentine’s Day jokes and anecdotes Tuesday at the club room of the Livingston Student Center.

The “Love Affair” dinner and comedy show, hosted by the Rutgers Programming Association, originally targeted students interested in comedy or improvisation, said Adam Helgeson, a member of RUPA’s Comedy and Movies committee.

But because of the event’s scheduling, the committee planned for a more Valentine’s Day-themed show, he said.

“Eric was very willing to adapt to the Valentine’s Day theme,” Helgeson said of O’Shea, who was booked before the show was part of a holiday theme. “He’s a very laid back artist, which made my job easier.”

O’Shea said his audience influences the execution of his act and is one of the most important aspects of his routine.

“As long as it’s a smart, energetic crowd that’s willing to explore with me then I’m happy,” O’Shea said. “Size doesn’t matter, which is a good Valentine’s Day theme.”

In accordance with the night’s theme, O’Shea opened his routine with a single man’s view on Valentine’s Day.

“I have my Valentine’s Day color on up here,” he said. “I’m wearing a nice gray shirt for single people like me.”

About 40 attendees were present at the event and some also took part in their own Valentine’s Day comedy.

Ben Rennie, a School of Engineering senior, said he attended the event with his friend Megan Maldonando, a School of Arts and Sciences senior, as a joke.

“We’re here for a Valentine’s Day outing,” Rennie said. “I figured this was a place where my girlfriend wouldn’t find me.”

O’Shea performed one comedic skit that focused on his childhood as he reminisced on his mother’s frugal ways.

“My mom used to buy the generic cereal. There were no Honey Nut Cheerios — they were Oh Hell No’s,” he said. “No Honey Nut bee, just some cracked-out wasp on the front with a banged-up stinger.”

In the comedy act, he said his mother was frugal even when it came to purchasing games.

“Even board games,” he said. “She didn’t get Clue, she got Hint.”

Another skit included his reactions to people driving slowly in the left lane when traveling to the University.

“When they’re driving 47 miles per hours in the left lane, you should ram them. Throw a grenade in their car,” O’Shea said. “Then when you pull up alongside them, you can never just pass them, right? You stop and see if they look as stupid as their driving is.”

He said looking at the person driving could sometimes help people understand why the driver was moving slowly.

“The weirder they look the better you feel,” O’Shea said. “No wonder you were driving so bad, you’ve got an enormous head.”

O’Shea said he was attracted to comedy because he never really saw himself in a conventional workplace.

“My thoughts and curiosity are just not conducive for a 9-to-5 job,” he said.

To make the acts relatable to the audience members, O’Shea said it involves being aware of one’s shortcomings when performing.

“I also do some weird bits, voices and random segues to break up the Seinfeld feel,” he said.

By Adam Uzialko