March 17, 2018 | ° F

New coach expects progress

Athletic Director Tim Pernetti named Rob Shutte as head Rutgers men’s golf coach Feb. 14. Following the departure of former head coach Chris Mazzuchetti, Shutte was brought in to be his successor and take the reins of the young Scarlet Knights.

Shutte begins his stint at Rutgers with seven years of collegiate head coaching experience under his belt, including the last two seasons as Lehigh’s head women’s golf coach.

He has enjoyed every moment since his hiring.

“It has been pretty great so far,” Shutte said. “The Rutgers community and athletic department have been great to be around. The players have embraced me and want to learn.”

Shutte brings positivity and optimism to the young team.

“Some characteristics that I bring to this team are developing players to the next phase of life and improving player personnel,” Shutte said. “I want to get the most out of my players at all times in all aspects of life.”

The PGA Class A member has some work to do in improving the Knights, but he is confident in the job he will do. He sees a lot of potential in the team he inherited.

“The team is very young,” he said. “We have one senior, one junior and a bunch of sophomores. There is a lot of talent.”

While the team has potential, it failed to make a significant splash in any tournament during the fall season, despite sporting two freshmen in Hyung Mo Kim and Jacob Stockl.

Shutte does not negate the fact that it will be a work in progress throughout the season. Improvement does not occur overnight.

“There is not a huge margin of error for us,” Shutte said. “There is some work that has to be done for improvement. The conference is not easy.”

Shutte makes his first appearance as head coach March 16, when the Knights travel to the Siena College Homewood Suites Invitational in Port St. Lucie, Fla.

Shutte enters the job with ties to the Metropolitan region. He served as assistant golf professional at Arcola Country Club in Paramus, N.J., in 2003. He also worked as a program administrator and teaching golf professional at First Tee of Metropolitan New York in 2002 in the Bronx.

Shutte hails from a Rutgers family. His father was a three-year football letterwinner at Rutgers from 1969-1971 as a defensive back, wide receiver and kicker. He was also a three-year letterwinner on the baseball team from 1970-1972 as an infielder. Shutte’s mother, Catherine, is also a Rutgers graduate.

Shutte has high expectations in bringing that successful nature to golf.

“I want to improve in all areas,” he said. “I want us to continue to do the right things this spring. But most importantly, keep the program in the right direction.”

2012 Rutgers Men’s Golf Schedule
March 16-17 Siena College Homewood
Suites Invitational
Port St. Lucie, Fla.
April 2 Upenn Invitational Pine Hill, N.J.
April 7-8 Penn State Invitational State College, Pa.
April 14-15 Princeton Invitational Princeton, N.J.
April 29 - May 1 Big East Championship Jacksonville, Fla.

By Aaron Farrar