Protest genetically engineered foods

Letter

I want to address comments the Center for Science in the Public Interest Director Gregory Jaffe made in the article “Director busts myths behind biotechnology” published on March 1 in The Daily Targum. Genetically engineered (GE) foods are harmful to consumers. There has been a stream of new information showing the risks of GE foods to not only the health of consumers, but for the environment as well. France first banned GE corn in 2008, Peru put in place a 10-year ban on GE crops, and Hungary destroyed acres of genetically engineered corn that had been planted.

Now many people are rallying against the sale of GE foods in their local groceries stores, especially Wal-Mart, who sees no problem in selling it to customers. Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s and General Mills have already refused to sell Monsanto’s GE sweet corn, but Wal-Mart has not. If Wal-Mart refuses to sell this GE sweet corn, then they will set an example for other grocery stores that there is no market for this GE food. Since there is increasing evidence of the health and environmental risks, Wal-Mart needs to act like a green company instead of just posing as one.  

Students across the University campus are joining Food & Water Watch to ask Wal-Mart to refuse to sell Monsanto’s GE sweet corn. Wal-Mart should reject this GE sweet corn because it is untested, unlabeled and possibly unsafe.

Zina Thompkins is a School of Arts and Sciences junior majoring in political science with minors in psychology and women’s and gender studies.

By Zina Thompkins