Protest Israel’s nuclear armament

Letter

As the world cautiously prepares for the possibility of war with Iran, it’s important to note the catastrophic threat of Israel’s nuclear weapons program. Israel is widely known to have amassed a stockpile of nuclear weapons since 1967, although they have continuously refused to acknowledge it. Israel’s possession of weapons of mass destruction poses an incredibly menacing threat to the security and stability of the Middle East and the world.

Despite international pressure, Israel has refused to sign the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty, which has been signed by 190 countries, including the United States, the United Kingdom and Russia. The treaty’s objective is to prevent the spread of nuclear weapons and technology, promote cooperation through the peaceful uses of nuclear energy, and reach eventual nuclear disarmament. Given Israel’s noncompliance to the treaty and its refusal to work with the international community, it has categorized itself as an international pariah, highlighting its inability to reach any agreements for peace. In addition, Israel refuses to place its civilian nuclear programs under the International Atomic Energy Agency or allow inspections of its nuclear facilities. Israel must be subjected to nuclear inspection just like Iran if the United States — or the world for that matter — aims to prevent the spread of nuclear weapons and an all-out war in the Middle East.

Numerous human rights organizations, from Amnesty International to Human Rights Watch, have continuously reported about Israel’s excessive use of force on the Palestinian people. During its explosive attacks on the Gaza strip, Israel used white phosphorus shells in Gaza’s civilian areas — evidence of war crimes. Its repeated use of white phosphorus over densely populated areas, including children’s schools and residential areas, has resulted in tragic civilian suffering and death. Israel’s numerous crimes against humanity attest to the country’s disregard for Palestinian life, let alone the lives of millions living in the Middle East. This is a country that possesses nuclear weapons. The world must recognize the threat of Israel’s nuclear weapons program, stop Israel from further pursing their nuclear weapons agenda and put an end to the numerous war crimes it has committed.  

The possibility of an Israeli attack on Iran will create an unprecedented crisis in the post-Cold War era — with devastating consequences. It will also bring the United States into yet another war in the Middle East, with billions spent at taxpayers’ expense.

Obama came into office placing nuclear disarmament as a centerpiece of American defense policy, laying out a vision for all nuclear weapons to eventually be dismantled. However, without American pressure on Israel’s nuclear weapons program, that vision moves further away from any realization.

Nadia Mughal is a School of Arts and Sciences senior majoring in political science with a minor in economics.

By Nadia Mughal