RU strives for quicker start

4f75306999eb8.image
Photo by Noah Whittenburg |

Sophomore midfielder Lauren Sbrilli scored the game-winning goal last Saturday at Fairfield, where the Rutgers offense stalled early on before earning a double-overtime victory.

The Rutgers women’s lacrosse team takes the RU Turf Field today with four straight wins and a Big East Honor Roll selection at its disposal.

That still might not be enough for the Scarlet Knights to win their Big East opener, as the they host Notre Dame at 4 p.m. in the Fighting Irish’s first-ever visit to Piscataway.

Notre Dame (7-0) enters the matchup with one Big East victory already under its belt from when the team beat Louisville last Saturday, 13-11. In that contest, attack Maggie Tamasitis led the Irish with a two-goal, four-assist performance.

For her performance, Tamasitis earned Big East Honor Roll recognition — the second time she earned such honors.

But Rutgers (5-3) has a player of its own that made the league honor roll in junior Stephanie Anderson, who led the Knights with four goals in their overtime victory last Saturday at Fairfield.

Anderson picked the right time to hit her stride with Notre Dame serving as Rutgers’ conference home-opening opponent.

The No. 6 Irish average more than 15 goals a game. And compared with the Knights’ eight goals per contest, it will be up to Anderson and the rest of the attack to jump-start the offense.

But their match against the Stags showed the Knights are capable of succeeding with their young roster. While Anderson led the team in goals, it was sophomore Lauren Sbrilli who found the back of the net in the second overtime to secure Rutgers’ fourth straight victory.

“We do have some youth and some inexperience on the field,” Brand-Sias said. “So with every game, they’re getting more and more experience and getting better.”

With only 16 spots available in the NCAA Tournament, each Big East game is important for the position Rutgers wants to end up in at the end of the regular season.