Ru tops rival princeton in double Ot

4f4f02dc5507f.image
Photo by Alex Van Driesen |

Sophomore Lauren Sbrilli scored the game-winner.

Regulation and two overtime periods were not enough to determine a winner last night, when the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team traveled to No. 8 Princeton.

With more than 66 minutes of gameplay gone and sudden victory rules in effect, sophomore midfielder Lauren Sbrilli found the back of the net to lift the Scarlet Knights to an 11-10 victory against the Tigers.

The goal was Sbrilli’s second consecutive on the night and third overall.

But she was not the only source of offense in the upset.

Senior midfielder Ali Steinberg and sophomore attack Megan Clements also managed hat tricks. Clements netted all of her goals in the first half en route to her first career three-goal performance and a two-goal Rutgers advantage at the break.

Senior attack Danielle Mascera also did her part, chipping in with three assists.

Despite the eighth-ranked opponent, Rutgers led for most of the game, falling behind only once when, with 9:36 left in the game, the Tigers took an 8-7 advantage.

But save for that and two ties — one midway through the first half and another with 33 seconds left in regulation — the Knights held the lead throughout the game at the Class of 1952 Stadium.

The upset was the second in three years against Princeton. The last upset came in 2010 and was also on the road.

Rutgers continues its road trip March 7 with its second consecutive Ivy League opponent in the Pennsylvania Quakers.

The Knights end the road trip with a March 10 meeting with Hofstra.

— Staff Report