TIMELINE: Dharun Ravi's trial

August 2010

Dharun Ravi and Tyler Clementi are assigned as roommates. Ravi emails Clementi but receives no response. He conducts web searches on Clementi’s email address and deduces that his future roommate is gay, according to an article in The New Yorker written by Ian Parker.

Aug. 25, 2010

Clementi comes out to his family.

Aug. 28, 2010

Ravi and Clementi move into Room 30 of Davidson Hall C on Busch campus.

Unknown date in August

After meeting Ravi’s parents, Clementi instant messages friend Hannah Yang and says his parents seem “sooo Indian first gen americanish” and that they “defs own a Dunkin’ [Donuts],” according to Parker’s article in The New Yorker.

Aug. 29, 2010

Ravi messages his West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North friend Jason Tam stating he thinks his roommate likes privacy, so he has been out of the room.

Sept. 1, 2010

The fall semester begins.

Sept. 16, 2010

Clementi meets M.B. in person at his residence hall room.

Sept. 19, 2010

Clementi invites M.B. to come over and asks Ravi if he can have the room for the evening.

9:00 p.m.

Ravi is in the room when M.B. enters. They exchange quick hellos, according to M.B.’s court testimony. Ravi goes next door where his friend and fellow WW-P North graduate Molly Wei lives. Shortly after, Ravi then re-enters the room, goes to his desk and “shuffled around a bit, then walked out,” M.B. said.

9:17 p.m.

Ravi posts the following message via Twitter: “Roommate asked for the room till midnight. I went into Molly’s room and turned on my webcam. I saw him making out with a dude. Yay.”

Wei uses AOL Instant Messenger to tell boyfriend Austin Chung that she and Ravi saw Clementi “kissing a guy.”

About 10 p.m.

Wei, with four other Davidson Hall C residents and Ravi out of the room, turns iChat back on and sees Clementi and M.B. “making out” with one male pressed against the bed and both with their backs turned to the camera.

After 10 p.m.

M.B. leaves Clementi’s room. He encounters a group of five people at the end of the hallway staring at him.

Sept. 20, 2010

1:10 a.m.

Clementi saves Ravi’s tweet from the night of Sept. 19 in a screenshot on his computer.

Clementi chats with friend Hannah Yang online, according to The Huffington Post. He says, “It’s not like he left the cam on or recorded or anything. He just like took a five sec peep lol.”

8:39 p.m.

Clementi checks Ravi’s Twitter page.

Sept. 21, 2010

2:22 a.m.

Clementi posts on the gay discussion forum of Justusboys looking to reach out, according to The Huffington Post.

“I feel like the only thing the school might do is find me another roommate, probably with me moving out ... and I’d probably just end up with somebody worse than him. ... I mean aside from being an asshole from time to time, he’s a pretty decent roommate.”

3:55 a.m.

Clementi requests a room change.

6:39 p.m.

Ravi posts on his Twitter account: “Anyone with iChat, I dare you to video chat me between the hours of 9:30 and [midnight]. Yes it’s happening again.”

6:41 p.m.

Huang sends out a message to Ravi about “a viewing party.”

6:58 p.m.

An iChat from a computer of a Davidson Hall C resident to Ravi’s computer is detected, according to court documents.

7:44 p.m.

Another iChat from a computer of another Davidson Hall resident to Ravi’s computer is detected, according to court documents.

About 9:00 p.m.

Ravi leaves for Ultimate Frisbee practice at the Busch Sports Club fields.

Clementi visits Davidson Hall C residence hall assistant Raahi Grover and with concerns that his roommate was spying on him. Grover instructs Clementi to write an email report on the issue.

9:15 p.m.

Clementi saves a screenshot of Ravi’s tweet onto his computer.

Between 9:25 p.m. and 11:19 p.m.

Ravi’s computer is disconnected, according to University computer system manager Timothy Hayes’ testimony.

9:33 p.m.

Clementi sends a text to Yang. “I was afraid he might have hidden another webcam, so I also shut down and turned off the power strip.”

10:19 p.m.

M.B. arrives at Davidson Hall C.

11 p.m.

Ravi’s Ultimate Frisbee practice ends. After practice Ultimate Frisbee team captain Geoffrey Irving and Ravi get takeout at Busch Dining Hall.

11:30 p.m.

Ravi returns from Ultimate Frisbee practice.

Sept. 22, 2010

12:03 a.m.

Clementi sends Grover an email stating that he is uncomfortable in his room. “I feel that my privacy has been violated, and I am extremely uncomfortable sharing a room with someone who would act in this wildly inappropriate manner,” Clementi wrote in an email.

Grover submits the report to the senior management hall director and University Residence Life coordinator for Busch campus.

2:04 a.m.

Ravi sends a text to Huang saying the webcam viewing, “It got messed up and didn’t work.”

3 p.m.

Grover addressed Ravi about his actions and informed him a report was submitted.

About 4:30 p.m.

Ravi said he last saw Clementi when he dropped off his backpack, according to testimony from Rutgers University Police Department Officer Krzysztof Kowalczyk.

5:16 p.m.

Clementi checks Ravi’s Twitter account again.

6:30 p.m.

Clementi takes a University bus to New York City and heads toward George Washington Bridge.

8:42 p.m.

Clementi posts on his Facebook wall: “Jumping off the gw bridge sorry.”

8:46 p.m.

Ravi sends Clementi the following text: “I’m sorry if you heard something distorted and disturbing but I assure you all my actions were good natured.”

8:57 p.m.

Ravi sends another text to Clementi: “I’ve known you were gay and I have no problem with it. In fact one of my closest friends is gay, and he and I have a very open relationship. I just suspected you were shy about it, which is why I never approached the topic. I don’t want your freshman year to be ruined because of a petty misunderstanding, it’s adding to my guilt. You have a right to move if you wish, but I don’t want you to feel pressured to without fully understanding the situation.”

9:48 p.m.

Kowalczyk visits Davidson Hall C to do a welfare check on Clementi. He finds Ravi in the room and gives him instructions to call him if there is additional information on the whereabouts of Clementi.

11:08 p.m.

Ravi posts on his Twitter:

“It’s happening again. People with iChat, don’t you dare video chat me from 9 to [midnight].”

“Everyone ignore that last tweet. Stupid drafts.”

Sept. 23, 2010

Between 7 and 9:15 a.m.

University Residence Life Assistant Director for Student Support Jennifer Frost-Hellstern reads the report from Grover and takes a screenshot of Ravi’s Twitter account.

9:15 a.m.

Residence life staff and Grover tell Ravi about Clementi.

12:02 p.m.

University Residence Life forwards Clementi’s email to Rutgers University Public Safety.

12:50 p.m.

RUPD Police Chief forwards the email to Lt. Richard Dinan

6:15 p.m.

Police interview Wei. Ravi sends her text messages instructing her what to say.

10:00 p.m.

Ravi gives a statement to the police.

Sept. 28, 2010

The Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office charges Wei and Ravi with invasion of privacy for the Sept. 19 viewing, and Ravi is charged again for the Sept. 21 viewing.

Sept. 29, 2010

Clementi’s body is discovered in the Hudson River.

Oct. 1, 2010

University President Richard L. McCormick releases a statement reaffirming the University’s values and condolences for the Clementi family, friends and classmates.

Students hold a memorial, “Black Friday,” where students wear black and create a memorial on the steps of Brower Commons on the College Avenue campus.

Oct. 3, 2010

7 p.m.

The University holds a candlelight vigil on the steps of Brower Commons on the College Avenue campus.

Oct. 4, 2010

Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office Director Bruce Kaplan said he does not think there was enough evidence to charge Ravi and Wei with a hate crime.

Oct. 5, 2010

Wei’s attorneys release a statement that Wei is innocent.

Oct. 20, 2010

The first “Spirit Day” is celebrated encouraging people to wear purple in support of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community and in memory of the September 2010 suicides, including the suicide of Tyler Clementi.

Oct. 31, 2010

Steve Altman, Ravi’s attorney, released a statement stating there was no evidence of anything being transmitted beyond one computer. Wei’s attorney said he was unaware of any sexual conduct seen during the viewing.

March 22, 2011

Joseph and Jane Clementi announce plans to start the Tyler Clementi Foundation in memory of their son.

April 20, 2011

A Middlesex County grand jury indicts Ravi on 15 counts, including bias intimidation, invasion of privacy, witness tampering and evidence tampering.

May 6, 2011

Wei agrees to testify against Ravi in court and is accepted into a three-year pretrial intervention program, which stipulates that her invasion of privacy charges will be dropped. The program requires Wei to complete 300 hours of community service and counseling about cyberbullying and alternative lifestyles, according to an nj.com article.

Sept. 9, 2011

Judge Glenn Berman rules that there is enough evidence against Ravi to support charges of bias intimidation, invasion of privacy, witness tampering and evidence tampering.

Oct. 20, 2011

Ravi turns down a plea bargain that would have given him only three to five years in prison, with a chance that prison time could be waived altogether.

Dec. 9, 2011

Ravi rejects a plea deal to avoid jail time and deportation, and instead be required to attend counseling and perform 600 hours of community service and receive counseling on cyberbullying and alternative lifestyles, according to an nj.com article. The trial is set to start tentatively on Feb. 21, 2012.

Feb. 21, 2012

Jury selection begins in Ravi’s trial.

Feb. 24, 2012

The New Jersey v. Dharun Ravi trial begins on the second floor of the Middlesex County Courthouse with Judge Glenn Berman presiding. The trial begins with 16 jurors, one of whom is immediately dismissed after amending their initial questionnaire. Prosecutors and defense attorneys make their opening arguments. First Assistant Prosecutor Julia McClure and Ravi’s lawyer Steve Altman present their opening statements. Four of Ravi’s friends testify that he has never expressed an issue with Clementi’s sexual orientation or homosexuality in general.

Feb. 27, 2012

Wei testifies against Ravi, in accordance with her pretrial intervention program.

Feb. 28, 2012

Ravi spends his 20th birthday in the courtroom as Wei finishes testifying against him. Wei says she and Ravi have not spoken since she transferred from the University following the incident.

Feb. 29, 2012

Lokesh Ojha, who lived in Davidson Hall C, testifies that Ravi used Ojha’s computer to set up the webcam on Sept. 21, 2010. Residence hall assistant, University alumnus Raahi Grover, also testified.

March 1, 2012

Ojha finishes his testimony, and former Ultimate Frisbee captain Geoffrey Irving, University Residence Life Assistant Director for Student Support Jennifer Frost-Hellstern and Kowalczyk also testify.

March 2, 2012

Clementi’s guest, only identified as “M.B.,” testifies in court. M.B., 32, goes into detail about his initial meetings, text message exchanges and brief sexual relationship with Clementi.

March 5, 2012

The court releases text message exchanges between Ravi and high school friend Michelle Huang in September 2010. Ravi told Huang about the Sept. 19, 2010 viewing.

March 7, 2012

The court views Ravi’s interrogation video Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office investigator Michael Daniewicz conducted the day after Clementi’s suicide. In the video, when Daniewicz asked Ravi if he thought setting up a webcam in his room invaded Clementi’s privacy, Ravi replied “yes.” He admitted in the video that M.B. made him uncomfortable, and his posts encouraging friends to view his webcam were sarcastic.

March 8, 2012

Ravi’s lawyers attempt to dismiss nine charges, including bias intimidation, invasion of privacy and hindering apprehension. Berman refuses, and all 15 counts remain.

The State rests its case.

March 9, 2012

Seven of Ravi’s family friends testify that Ravi never showed any prejudice against homosexuals.

March 12, 2012

Defense rests its case.

March 13, 2012

Prosecutors and defense attorneys each give their closing arguments.

March 14, 2012

Superior First Court Judge Glenn Berman reviews the charges with the jury and jury deliberations begin.

March 15, 2012

Jury deliberations continued into the second day.

March 16, 2012

About 11:22 a.m.

The jury has a verdict.

Noon

Ravi is found guilty on all counts, including bias intimidation, invasion of privacy, tampering with physical evidence and a witness and hindering apprehension or prosecution.

4:30 p.m.

M.B. releases a public statement commenting on being apart of the trial.

May 21, 2012

9:00 a.m.

Sentencing is expected begin for Ravi.

Anastasia Millicker and Rashmee Kumar