Affordable Care Act restores right for all

Letter

We have come to a crossroads in our republic in which divisive public opinion has entrenched itself in American society. One believes that a government’s founding principle is to provide for the common defense while the other believes in the nullification of the social contract: that our ills should be ignored, and Americans should just go it alone.

The passage of the Affordable Care Act two years ago should have marked a historic day in American history, another example of forming a more perfect union. Since then the Affordable Care Act has been wrapped up in unfounded controversy. The act is not “Obamacare,” reserved to promote the interests of one, but “Americacare,” to promote the interests of all by pooling everyone together to assume risk and lower costs, ending the discrimination of coverage based on preexisting conditions and ensuring equal care for all.

The ACA is not tyranny, but freedom — a positive freedom that gives individuals the tools to better live the American dream, without fear of losing their worth because of costs associated with their health. The United States is the largest industrialized country in the world without universal health care and, not coincidentally, spends the most money per capita on costs associated with health care.

I support a law that fundamentally restores a balance to the quality of care in our country, guarantees that I can remain on my parents’ insurance when I graduate college and am at my most vulnerable financial state and a plan that actually will create jobs and reduce the deficit in the long run. Most importantly I support a law that treats health care based on what it should be: a right for all, not a privilege for some.

Corey Strausman is a School of Arts and Sciences senior majoring in political science with a minor in history. 

By Corey Strausman