Attend BOG Open Forum

Letter

The Rutgers University Board of Governors will host their annual “Open Forum on Tuition and Fees” tonight at 6:30 p.m. in the multipurpose room of the Rutgers Student Center on the College Avenue campus. This is an extremely rare opportunity for students, as they will have the chance to directly address the Board of Governors — which controls tuition fees — and discuss their experiences with tuition rates on campus.

The BOG is an 11-person entity that will eventually vote on the tuition and fee increases in July. It is crucial that students speak at this event about which programs they wish were funded more or how they feel about a tuition increase.

This event is the only time each year that the board allows students to address them concerning tuition and fees. It is also extremely important because of its timing. The board and administration spends weeks coming up with a budget for the following fiscal years. In addition to running the numbers and prioritizing programs, the board and administration take one more important thing into consideration — student feedback.

I’ve been working with the Board since July, and I can assure you that they care what students have to say on matters like this. That is why they’re taking time out of their schedules to sit in the Student Center tonight and listen to what students have to say about tuition and fees. So my advice is — take advantage of it. Show up tonight and let your voices be heard. Tell the Board exactly what you think about our student fees and increasing tuition.

For more information concerning the event, I recommend checking out the Facebook event “Rutgers University Open Forum on Tuition and Fees.” You can also follow @RUassembly, which will be live-tweeting the event.

Students do have a voice at this University, and I urge you to take advantage of an opportunity for your voice to be heard. In exchange for only an hour of your time, you will be able to make your presence known to the most powerful people at the University. You are entirely in control of whether your opinion is heard, and I strongly recommend that you act on this opportunity.

Kristen Clarke is a senior in the School of Arts and Sciences. She is the student representative to the Board of Governors.

By Kristen Clarke