Knights look for first win against Hoyas in history

4f9a1ef5ea15b.image
Photo by Conor Alwell |

Senior attack Kevin Hover closes out his Rutgers career tonight against Georgetown. Both the Hoyas and the Knights are eliminated from Big East Tournament contention.

When it comes to postseason tournaments, the Rutgers men’s lacrosse team’s final game against Georgetown technically holds no weight. Both the Scarlet Knights and the Hoyas found out they are ineligible to enter the Big East Tournament, and Saturday’s matchup is the final game of the season.

But what the game lacks in conference drama, it more than makes up for it in history. No Rutgers team has ever defeated Georgetown in the history of college lacrosse.

And with no pressure of the upcoming postseason on their shoulders, this year’s Knights are more determined than ever to be the first to re-write history.

“It is a great opportunity, especially since Georgetown learned they will not be making the tournament, as well,” said senior attackman Kevin Hover. “It is kind of just a rubber match between us now. We both want to get that nice win to finish off the season.”

The last time the two teams collided, the Hoyas narrowly escaped the confines of Yurcak Field with their undefeated streak intact. The Knights (6-8, 1-4) nearly toppled their Big East foe thanks to a late-game comeback, but eventually lost, 14-9, to become one more Rutgers team to fall to Georgetown (6-6, 2-3).

Sophomore attackman Scott Klimchak, who tallied a hat trick in the last meeting with Georgetown, still has memories of the game and is determined to make this weekend’s matchup a season highlight.

“We have nothing to lose. We are going to go out there and try and beat them for the first time,” Klimchak said. “It is weird that Rutgers has never beat them in the past, so this year could be the year that we finally beat them and hopefully get some positives out of this season.”

Despite their inability to qualify for the Big East Tournament, this year’s Georgetown squad is still a formidable task for the Knights. In the Hoyas’ latest effort, they took down No. 15 Syracuse, 10-8.

When Rutgers faced Syracuse on April 14, the Orange handed it the most lopsided loss of its season and officially ousted it from Big East Tournament contention.

But the fact that they do not have the opportunity to play in the tournament fuels the Knights against Georgetown, said head coach Brian Brecht.

“Rutgers has never beaten Georgetown ever, in the history of playing,” Brecht said. “I talk about legacy and putting your stamp on something — what a great opportunity for these 40 student-athletes to prepare for a great week of practice, travel well and have a win that no other Rutgers team has ever had.”

Brecht sees the game as a second chance specifically for the senior class, which without a chance for tournament glory looks to leave something behind.

“For these seniors to get to seven wins and do something and leave the program better than they found it — what a great opportunity,” Brecht said.

For Hover, a win against Georgetown suffices in place of a Big East Tournament berth in his final year on the Banks.

“If we can finish the season by beating Georgetown for the first time, that is our playoff right there,” Hover said.

By Vinnie Mancuso