Rookie third baseman takes Big East lead in three stats

4f9622bc4bc91.image
Photo by Willy Mellot |

Junior third baseman Pat Kivlehan ranks first in a number of Big East categories, including batting average and slugging.

In his rookie season with the Rutgers baseball team, junior third baseman Pat Kivlehan is already making a solid case for Big East Player of the Year and possibly All-American status.

Kivlehan now leads the Big East in batting average, on-base percentage and slugging percentage.

Kivlehan’s .405 batting average makes him the only Big East slugger batting more than .400, ahead of Villanova freshman Tyler Sciacca, who hits .395.

The former Rutgers football team defensive back’s .494 OBP is 16 points ahead of anyone in the conference, but his most dominant number is slugging percentage.

Kivlehan slugs .690, which is 85 points ahead of Notre Dame sophomore Eric Jagielo and Connecticut junior L.J. Mazzilli, who tie for second place in the category.

The West Nyack, N.Y., native is fourth in the conference with eight home runs, which leads the Scarlet Knights. Kivlehan has also dominated the base paths with 20 stolen bases this year, which places him third in the Big East.

Kivlehan has 87 total bases this season — 2.56 bases per game — which is good for seventh in the conference.

The third baseman is coming off of a 3-for-4 performance in Saturday’s 15-0 win against Connecticut to cap his 6-for-14 series, when he hit one home run and knocked in four runs. He hit 5-for-8 in Rutgers’ last week in two midweek games.

Kivlehan leads a Knights lineup that sits fourth in the Big East in runs scored and batting average with 262 and .300, respectively.

— Staff Report