RU earns season high in goals against Cardinals

Knight Notebook

4f8b9e070e45b.image
Photo by Anastasia Millicker |

Senior attack Danielle Mascera drives against a Cincinnati defender yesterday in the Knights’ 13-10 victory at Yurcak Field. Mascera set the school’s single-season assists record in the win.

The Rutgers women’s lacrosse team defeated Louisville, 16-11, on Friday in a game that featured a season-high in goals scored and a record-setting performance on the field.

Junior midfielder Stephanie Anderson scored a team-high five goals for her seventh straight hat trick, and senior midfielder Ali Steinberg recorded four.

Anderson and Steinberg tallied their 37th and 28th goals of the season, respectively, to lead the team.

Steinberg scored all four of her goals in the second half, including the first two Scarlet Knights goals of the period, which occurred within 17 seconds of each other with 26 minutes remaining.

“It feels good,” Steinberg said Friday. “Everyone else has been playing great and just to finally get back in it felt really good.”

Sophomore midfielder Lauren Sbrilli also notched a hat trick with three goals. She registered consecutive scores in the first seven minutes of the game.

On defense, junior goalie Lily Kalata saved a season-high 14 shots for her seventh win of the season.

Senior attack Danielle Mascera tallied two assists in the win against Louisville, giving her 28 for the year, which tied Nancy Isenberg’s record set in 1980. She ultimately broke the record yesterday against Cincinnati.

But Mascera said she does not think about the record during games.

“I’m just continuing to play how I always play,” Mascera said Friday. “If it comes, it comes. If it doesn’t, it doesn’t, but it wasn’t a major concern. I just want to keep playing the game how I play.”

Mascera tied the record with 14:19 remaining to set up a Steinberg free position shot.

“We want to get Danielle her record and have everyone play really well,” Steinberg said.

Mascera tallied her first assist on Sbrilli’s second goal with 23:23 left in the first.

Six Knights played their last home game against the Bearcats, but the class entered with the assurance of getting its first win against Louisville.

The Knights began strong against the Cardinals, scoring the first five goals.

“We wanted to set the tone right from the start knowing that they had some talented scorers and that they were going to fight for the entire 60 minutes,” said head coach Laura Brand-Sias.

The victory marks the first time Rutgers defeated the Cardinals in three years and the first win against Louisville for the senior class.

“We have never beaten Louisville before [as a senior class], so it’s definitely a mental game as well as a physical game, and I think that starting the streak off being 1-0 is really important,” Mascera said.

By Mike Morton