SNY runs feature on RU athlete

Thanks to his newfound success in baseball, former Rutgers football defensive back and current Rutgers third baseman Patrick Kivlehan will be featured tonight at 10:30 on SportsNite on SNY.

After completing his time on the football team, the junior joined the baseball team this season. Thanks to an injury to senior third baseman Russ Hopkins, Kivlehan immediately found a spot in the starting lineup.

He currently leads the Knights with seven home runs, three ahead of sophomore second baseman Nick Favatella, owner of the second-highest home run total. No Knight last season had more than two home runs.

The West Nyack, N.Y., native leads Rutgers in nearly every offensive category, including his 26 RBI, 72 total bases and .649 slugging percentage.

Kivlehan has also been successful with the glove, including Saturday against West Virginia, when the third baseman dove on a lineout and nearly completed a double play before the runner on third tagged up.

The Big East honored Kivlehan twice already, including March 26 when the conference named him Player of the Week.

He hit .692 with two home runs in four games that week, which included his first career home run. He also won the New Jersey Collegiate Baseball Association Division I Player of the Week during that time.

— Staff Report