Third baseman makes second weekly honor roll

4f7a74e908001.image
Photo by Keith Freeman |

Senior infielder Pat Kivlehan earned league weekly honors a week after conference player of the week recognition.

Rutgers baseball third baseman Pat Kivlehan yesterday earned a spot on the Big East Weekly Honor Roll.

The senior earned the recognition for a second straight week, after he was named Big East Player of the Week.

Kivlehan recorded seven hits, six runs, three home runs and 11 RBI last week in four games. He has reached base in 18 consecutive games and driven in at least one run in his last six games.

The West Nyack, N.Y., native’s best game was Saturday against Georgetown, when he went 4-for-6 at the plate with two home runs and five RBI. The second long ball gave the Knights a 12-11 lead in the top of the 10th inning.

Kivlehan began the week hitting 2-for-4 with a home run, three runs scored and four RBI on Wednesday against Wagner.

His only hitless game was Sunday against Georgetown, when he went 0-for-3 but still extended his RBI streak with a walk in the sixth inning.

The third baseman also recorded the only Scarlet Knights RBI in a 13-1 loss to Georgetown by doubling to right field, scoring junior catcher Jeff Melillo in the first inning.

The former Rutgers football defensive back looks to continue his momentum this week, when the Knights face five teams in five days, starting today against Princeton.

— Staff Report