NJ Film Festival Fall 2012 Preview

50484874d705c.image

Courtesy of njfilmfest.com

The return of the New Jersey International Film Festival is one of the sweetest events the fall season has to offer. The NJFF will be screening a collection of interesting movies from all over the world.

This year, the festival is jam-packed with feature films, one of which is the dynamic biopic “Barrymore.” Oscar-winning actor Christopher Plummer plays John Barrymore, one of the most talented and revered stage actors of the 20th century; this film is an inside look at the last year of the brilliant artist's life.

The western crime-drama, “Heavens & Thieves” is one of the festival's grittier offerings. The movie spins an engaging tale of two drifters who hatch a plot to take stolen gold from an escaped Chinese railroad worker. One of the men poses as a hired hand at the ranch of the worker while the other lurks in the shadows, waiting for the right moment to move. What follows is a satisfying feast of lies, betrayals, shootings and gambles.

Lovers of foreign film, rest easy: the festival boasts an impressive assortment of foreign pictures. One noteworthy feature is a restored version of “A Trip to the Moon.” This film is considered by many to be the most groundbreaking and innovative movie of its time. Directed by renowned filmmaker, Georges Méliès – one of Martin Scorcese’s personal inspirations – “A Trip to the Moon” blends comedy and science fiction in a story of scholars who launch themselves into the moon and proceed to see wonders beyond imaginations.

“Five Hours South” is another international addition to the lineup. The movie is a dance flick with an unexpected twist. Luca Santoro, an Italian policeman unhappy with his job, finds passion and solace in dancing. When he is offered a job at a dance company, he abandons his career and family to pursue his dream; however, he is still bound by blood-oaths from his shady past.

Fans of documentaries should check out “99% Solution,” an informative piece which compiles facts regarding pollution, global warming and the privatization of water on the planet. Another documentary, “They’re in the River,” follows a group of scientists and fisherman who attempts to revive the population of the American Shad fish.

The festival would not be complete without its stock of experimental and short films, one of which is “One Brooklyn Boat.” This short film is about a man who lives on a houseboat and must build his own fires, collect his own rainwater, and survive like in the wild. Another interesting feature is “Drained,” a short movie that fuses live-action and animation to tell the story of a drug addict whose substance abuse destroys the woman he loves.

Films are shown at 7 p.m. in the Voorhees Hall Room 105 on the College Avenue campus. Tickets are $8 for Rutgers Film Co-Op/NJMAC friends, $9 for students and seniors, and $10 for general admission. For more information about tickets, times, location, and the entire schedule, visit njfilmfest.com

Alex Natanzon