Residents vie for City Council seats

New Brunswick will undergo City Council elections in November, with three seats up for grabs.

The seats that are available are those of Councilwoman Elizabeth Garlatti, Council President Robert Recine and Councilman Jimmie L. Cook Jr., according to New Brunswick Patch.

The New Brunswick Democratic Organization is endorsing three candidates — Garlatti, Councilman Glenn J. Fleming Sr., and John A. Anderson, according to the article.

Garlatti received 1,034 votes to advance from the primaries, while Fleming received 1,002 votes and Anderson received 997 votes, according to Patch.

Three city residents will challenge these democratic candidates, declaring themselves part of the “Unbought and Unbossed” party, according to Patch.

Among the newcomers is Charles Kratovil, who has established himself as a community organizer in New Brunswick and is a University alumnus, according to Patch.

Jonathan Coloma, a lifelong resident of New Brunswick who also attends and works for the University, is also running under the party name.

The final candidate is Yolonda Baker, a working mother who is involved in the city’s public schools, according to Patch.

Coloma said in a press release that the independent trio hopes to be an answer to some residents’ complaints.

“I’ve lived in this city my whole life, and I’m not the only one who is tired of excuses from City Hall,” Coloma said in the release.

By Giancarlo Chaux