Three-alarm fire on Somerset Street destroys artificial flower warehouse

506d30b8e1968.image
Photo by Jovelle Tamayo |

Firefighters responded to a one-story warehouse fire late last night on 366 Somerset St. in New Brunswick, near the border of Franklin Township.

The building housed Ding & A Trading Corporation, a wholesale artificial flower distribution company.

Responders from the New Brunswick Fire Department and other local municipalities arrived at the scene around 10:45 p.m., about two minutes after the call, said Tom Lopardo, New Brunswick’s on-duty deputy fire chief.

Officials saw heavy smoke coming from every window at the warehouse upon arrival, Lopardo said.

Photo: Jovelle Tamayo

New Brunswick residents watch as local firefighters work to extinguish a fire at 366 Somerset St. 

Photo: Jovelle Tamayo

Firefighters evacuated residents from an apartment building and storefront at the right of the warehouse, he said.

The fire was contained and did not spread to neighboring buildings.

No civilian injuries were reported as of press time, but one firefighter was sent home from heat exhaustion and another for a knee injury, Lopardo said.

Officials were still working to put out the fire as of 1:30 a.m.

The cause of the fire is still unknown but is under investigation, Lopardo said.

Ruby Figueroa, who was on the scene wearing a towel on her head, said she was showering when she noticed a red sky and flames at the site of the warehouse.

Figueroa, an 18-year-old resident from Laurel Place, said she thought to check outside because her aunt lives at one of the evacuated apartments on Somerset Street.

Video: http://vimeo.com/50744369

Jovelle Tamayo