American culture is not dead

Letter to the Editor

The Lord knows the author of yesterday’s column titled “Patriotism does not equal nationalism” is not complaining when he suggests American culture in these end-of-days is defined by its greed, nationalism, and nothing else. But this suggestion really speaks more to the author’s worldview than it does to the actual state of culture in America. I have no doubt that the citizens of this most culturally diverse country of the United States, and the students of its flagship university, would beg the same difference. I am admittedly curious to know who have become the tyrants and persecutors, because I have seen a number of demonstrations on campus recently. They have been loud at times, and they have been wrong on some points, and you can count on one hand the other countries in which they could have taken place peacefully and unhindered. If the author is looking toward the politicians of this country as the standard bearers of its culture, well then therein lies the problem. And if the author cannot see the forest for the trees in his own backyard, then I would suggest he take a pilgrimage in February to the birthplace of American music — New Orleans. He could see what a Second Line is all about, not to mention Mardi Gras. I am compelled to say that one has not experienced American culture until one has danced along in a New Orleans street parade — but whether it’s sounds from the brass band in that world removed from worlds, or in a more local community festival, the heartbeat of America resonates. The culture is not dead, Tom, and we are too young to be feeling so defeated.

Ryan Ragoza is a School of Engineering senior majoring in mechanical engineering.

By Ryan Ragoza