City elects council members

509a4f9860e00.image
Photo by Conor Allwell |

The New Brunswick City Council elects three democratic members last night.

Democrats Elizabeth Garlatti, Glen Fleming and John Anderson won seats on the New Brunswick City Council yesterday in an uncontested run.

Incumbent Garlatti, who has been a member of the council since 2004, will serve her third term, while incumbent Fleming will continue after joining the council in June to fill the spot of resigned councilman Jimmie Cook, Jr.

Newcomer Anderson, a lifelong city resident, is the principal of St. Joseph’s High School in Metuchen. He received his bachelor’s degree in history from St. Peter’s College and has worked in various schools across the state as a teacher.

Garlatti, who is the daughter of New Brunswick’s first female mayor, served as the executive director of the Child Health Institute of New Jersey according to the New Brunswick Democrats’ Facebook. She served as the council president from 2007 until 2010.

Fleming teaches in the Hamilton Township School District and is an ordained minister at the Abundant Life Family Worship Church, according to patch.com. Council President Robert Recine recommended Fleming to the council to replace Cook because he considers him a “highly qualified individual.”

The Democrats were left running unopposed after three candidates from an independent party dropped out of the race in September.

By Giancarlo Chaux