'My Crazy Beautiful Life'

Short and sweet with many pictures, “My Crazy Beautiful Life” is a fitting self-depiction of the artist Kesha Rose Sebert, better known as Ke$ha. Bound within the confines of a shiny metallic hardcover is the story of a girl from a low-income family who dropped out of high school at the age of 17 to move to Los Angeles and become a singer. Luckily, she succeeded, otherwise dance floors across the world would be devoid of hits like “TiK ToK,” “Blow” and most recently, “Die Young.”

With her distinctive lyrics and of costume design, Ke$ha has painted herself as an artist who just wants to dance, drink and have fun. Ke$ha was encouraged from an early age to be creative by her songwriter mother. She made her own clothes, snuck into concerts and was willing to do just about anything to get what she wanted — including breaking into the house of a famous artist to drop off her CD. Most of her book highlights the wild, crazy life synonymous with Ke$ha’s namesake.

However, beneath the girl who likes to give people prison tattoos and impromptu haircuts is the girl that was accepted to an Ivy League university It is the girl who designs her own sets and costumes, the one who writes her own songs. As Ke$ha puts it herself, “as hard as I play, I work at least 10 times harder.”

Not that she seems to mind much. She expresses her passion for performing and is grateful for the opportunity. Fundamentally she describes herself as a writer, and her ultimate goal is to express herself honestly. And occasionally, her irreverently honest style will produce pieces like “Blah Blah Blah” that comically challenge the stereotypes of female sexuality.

Most of the songs from her first album, “Animal,” tend to be about partying, but according to Ke$ha, the album merely reflects that particular stage of her life. Toward the end of “My Crazy Beautiful Life,” she admits that she still loves to have fun, but is in a different phase of her life. Her newfound seriousness and tenacity are reflected in her new album “Warrior,” set to release tomorrow, Nov. 30.

Comments

Rules of Conduct
  • 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.