Pro-Palestine column one-sided

Letter

I am writing in response to the article “Israel must act responsibly.” Surprise surprise, facts misrepresented again. I, myself, have traveled to Israel five times. On my last trip I was assigned a project — to speak with random Israeli citizens in Tel Aviv and ask what their futures hold. The majority had the same consensus. They explained how unlike other people, Israelis do not live planning their futures, but instead merely hope they have a chance for a future. They constantly have to deal with the reality of the threat of elimination. They must ensure their survival, safety, future of their country as well as the stability of the region. I can agree with the author on one thing, however — it is not an even playing field. Israel, which is about the size of the state of New Jersey, is the only Jewish homeland in the world. What surrounds it, what taunts the country’s existence daily, are 22 Arab states. So yes, the author is right, the playing field is not even in the slightest.

The U.S. State Department itself declares, “We strongly condemn the barrage of rocket fire from Gaza into southern Israel, and we regret the death and injury of innocent Israeli and Palestinian civilians caused by the ensuing violence. There is no justification for the violence that Hamas and other terrorist organizations are employing against the people of Israel.”

Israel acted in self-defense when they killed the commander of Hamas, and although is unfortunate that there were 10 casualties, it was a terrorist who was targeted and who had provoked the situation. Ahmed al-Jabari implemented numerous attacks on Israel, has tormented the country’s existence, and kidnapped Israeli Defense Force solider Gilad Shalit.

It seems that when Israel is attacked, the world is quiet. But when Israel chooses to protect itself the world roars with backlash. Israeli government spokesman Mark Regev has said, “I would ask you, I’d ask any person around the planet: What would you do if your population was targeted day after day?”

I think that the real dehumanization that the author speaks of is the more than 12,00-plus rockets Israel has been hit with. In just 2012, there have been 768 and counting shots from Gaza into Israel. How would we feel if it was New York or Washington, D.C.? Or perhaps it is the fact that Israeli children in the south cannot go to school tomorrow, no not because of a snowstorm, but because of Gaza’s threat. It’s the actuality that as I speak with my brother, who is visiting Israel for a wedding, he tells me he has to go because a siren went off and he needs to run into a bomb shelter. I have seen dehumanizing images of the homes hit by Gaza rockets. One thing is for certain: I stand with Israel and will continuously protect the nation’s right to defend itself.

Heather Abrahamian is a School of Arts and Sciences junior.

By Heather Abrahamian