July 17, 2019 | 78° F

Rutgers?attempts to avoid road fate

Khaseem Greene vividly remembers the Rutgers football team’s last visit two years ago to Cincinnati. But the only indelible memory at Nippert Stadium was another loss to the Bearcats.

It is part of a recurring pattern for the Scarlet Knights, who last won in Cincinnati in 1987 — before either was a member of the Big East.

“We know the type of success we’ve had there — no success at all,” said senior safety Duron Harmon yesterday. “All we can do is … worry about each other.”

The Knights left Cincinnati on the wrong end of a 69-38 drubbing at the hands of then-quarterback Zach Collaros. Collaros sat out last year’s game in Piscataway because of injury, and Rutgers won its first game against the Bearcats since they joined the league in 2006.

Cincinnati foiled a 9-0 Rutgers team that year with national championship aspirations. The Knights lost, 13-10, in 2008, the next time they paid a visit to the Bearcats.

“I certainly remember all three of those games,” said head coach Kyle Flood, then offensive line coach. “I would agree with that 2006 game, it was ugly. It was not something we had anticipated or we were very pleased with.”

Another loss at Cincinnati on Saturday could muddy the Big East BCS picture.

Assuming Louisville goes unbeaten entering the Knights’ season finale, Rutgers could find itself in a three-way tie for first place if it and Cincinnati do the same.

In that scenario, the team with the best BCS ranking would earn the league’s berth, likely in the Orange Bowl against the ACC.

For updates on the Rutgers football team, follow Tyler Barto @TBartoTargum.

By Tyler Barto