Experience gives Knights stability for Championships

The Rutgers men’s track and field team entered off of a sixth-place finish at the Great Dane Classic in the Bronx.

The Scarlet Knights rested several of their key athletes in the last meet, but should have a more complete squad for the upcoming event.

Senior Adam Bergo is one of the Knights’ key competitors and hopes to see big contributions from the team.

“We didn’t have our full team competing [in the Great Dane Classic] but still did well,” Bergo said. “A lot of guys have been resting up.”

The Knights hope the rest leads to better results in upcoming meets as many return to full strength.

The long distance unit looks to continue to improve, as its times have gotten better in each meet this season.

Many of the team’s veterans have already posted times or distances that have qualified for the Big East Championships, but more of their teammates still look for qualifying numbers.

Of the current qualifiers, many still hope to improve on their times and distances.

The Metropolitan Championships is a good test for a young team, which is learning each week.

Many of the younger Knights are using the experience they earned in recent weeks and continue to get a feel for high-level college competition.

Many have been battling injuries of late and continue to heal for upcoming meets.

Bergo, one of the Knights’ decorated athletes last season, has been dealing with various injuries.

“I’ve been recovering for the past few months and am feeling a lot better,” Bergo said. “My technique is getting back to what it was.”

The time off for some athletes did the Knights well in several different areas and should help in the long run.

The jumping unit, one of the best in the Big East last season, continues to return to full strength and looks to build on it in the Bronx.

Head coach Mike Mulqueen has focused on working with the whole team.

The Metropolitan Championships is another opportunity for the team to improve and prepare for the rest of the year.

Many young athletes will perform again this weekend and hope to have a better showing the second time in New York City.

By Eric Dimetrosky