Historic win faces obstacles

Rutgers head women’s basketball coach C. Vivian Stringer is five wins away from becoming the third Division-I coach with 900 victories.

Because of struggles in Big East play and the upcoming schedule, Stringer’s historic moment might not arrive until late February or March.

The Scarlet Knights’ resume action tonight against Georgetown. Stringer could reach 900 wins with a victory against the Hoyas and then against Seton Hall, Marquette, Villanova and Cincinnati.

If Rutgers puts together a winning streak culminating with a win Feb. 9 against the Bearcats, it would allow Stringer to reach the milestone in front of her home fans at the Louis Brown Athletic Center.

But losing only one of the next five games would mean Stringer attempts her 900th victory during a difficult stretch.

The Knights would proceed Feb. 12 against DePaul, which fought the Knights until the final seconds of Rutgers’ 65-64 victory last season.

Rutgers faces No. 3 Connecticut on Feb. 16 and then visits Syracuse, the first team out of yesterday’s AP Rankings. After that, the Knights visit a St. John’s team Feb. 23 that has beaten Rutgers in three straight games.

The schedule does not ease up until Feb. 26 against USF and March 2 against Cincinnati, which combine for one Big East victory this season.

By Josh Bakan