Rutgers College Republicans to bring “Centurion” back

5109fe8bc0291.image
Photo by Shirley Yu |

Donald Coughlan, center, a Rutgers Business School junior,

discusses relaunching the Centurion, a conservative student

publication, last night at the Rutgers Student Center.

The “Centurion,” a conservative student-run publication that ran from 2004 to 2010, is planning to return to the University in the following months.

The Rutgers College Republicans are looking to bring the publication back to life after it stopped circulating in the fall of 2010, said Donald Coughlan, chairman of the Rutgers College Republicans.

Coughlan said he has worked on reviving the “Centurion” since his appointment to chairman in November.

“We want to restart the ‘Centurion’ to add a balance to the campus dialogue that often tilts to the left,” said Coughlan, a Rutgers Business School junior. “We want to show that conservatism is alive and well at Rutgers.”

The Rutgers College Republicans want to bring the publication back to help students make more informed political decisions and engage students to get involved, Coughlan said.

“There is no voice for people in between the left and right. People like me with views in both the left and right need an informative and thoughtful source to get information,” said Tyler Seville, a School of Arts and Sciences senior.

Many at the meeting thought that another publication on campus would allow students a wider array of sources to gather information about the choices they have. The group also discussed how Gov. Chris Christie will be facing off against State Sen. Barbara Buono, D-18.

The Rutgers College Republicans will produce the “Centurion.” They have been working since the previous semester to get it off the ground, Coughlan said. He said he has been looking for organizations to help them financially.

Coughlan said he found help in the Leadership Institute and the Collegiate Network. Both groups help independent student organizations and publications get on their feet.

“These organizations have [helped] us with training and funding, and hopefully we’ll become fully affiliated with the Collegiate Network and receive more training and resources that will assure that our publication lasts,” he said.

The Collegiate Network supports independent college publications that serve to focus public awareness to the politicization of college and university campuses, according to the network’s website.

Coughlan said if the “Centurion” were to gain full membership with groups, it would provide a wide range of opportunities for students such as internships, fellowships, training and support. Many prominent journalists and writers such as Ann Coulter and Dinesh D’Souza have come out of the incentive’s affiliates.

The Leadership Institute provides training, funding and fundraising for grassroots organizations and start-up publications as well. Its network of conservative groups and newspapers has grown to 1,400, according to the institute’s website.

Erik Koppisch, a School of Environmental and Biological Sciences sophomore, said he was a new member at the meeting held by the Rutgers College Republicans. He found his way to the group by looking it up online.

“I’m concerned about where the country is headed,” Koppisch said. “I want to inform the people where the country is.”

Comments

Rules of Conduct
  • 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.