Creationism criticism shows double standard

Letters to the Editor

As I picked up The Daily Targum on Wednesday, the top of the front page caught my eye, “Evolution Exists,” a response to Monday’s column “Creationism has Merit.” Instead of finding an educated stance on the subject at hand, I found an article that was scathing and demeaning in nature. The article took a stance of exalting the theory of evolution at the expense of painting creationism as a silly child’s myth that I’m sure not only insulted myself, but several others as well. As this thought crossed my mind, another followed: the criticism of creationism, or anything to do with the three Abrahamic religions of Christianity, Judaism, and Islam, is more often than not considered socially acceptable, whereas any remarks made by followers are quickly struck down and deemed as ignorant and anti-progressive. This double standard that I’ve noticed over the course of time has infuriated and frustrated me. Under no circumstance is it acceptable to be able to criticize a group of people and their beliefs while at the same time, disregard any commentary made by said groups. It has become the social norm to acquire this condescending stance, claiming that religions of old retard human advancement and contribute to the decline of civilization. Not only is practice socially condemnable, but factually misinformed. Many religious organizations have contributed to great feats of human history. The great Library of Alexandria was first and foremost a religious seminary for the Coptic Orthodox Church, and is also regarded as the world’s first university with thousands of people across the known world of the time attended for educational advancement in the studies of mathematics, the sciences, philosophies, and literature. The Islamic religion gave birth to magnificent works of architecture, artwork, and astrology, as seen in the mosques across northern Africa and southern Spain. Members of the Jewish faith have contributed to discoveries in physics and medicine, including the vaccination of polio, insulin, and aspirin battled bodily pains. The author of Wednesday’s letter closed with “Let the darkness of the past give way to the light of the future.” I will echo these words, except as a plea to leave the derogatory comments of others with dissimilar beliefs in the past, and acceptance and fellowship in the future. It is this type of commentary that holds humanity back in darkness, and not holding a specific belief.

Mark Galey is a School of Engineering sophomore majoring in mechanical engineering.

By Mark Galey