Creationism has merit

Column | Philosophies of a Particular American

I do not believe in the theory of evolution. I do not believe human beings or any other complex creatures on this earth were originally single-celled organisms that evolved into what they are because of billions of years of natural selection and genetic mutation. I believe that God created human beings and other complex creatures in a form not too dissimilar from how they are now, and I will show that my belief of old-earth creationism at least has merit.

In order to show the merit of creationism, I must first show that belief in God has merit, which is a far easier task. God’s existence, after all, is the best explanation for any supernatural phenomenon that might exist, so in order to reasonably demonstrate the existence of God, all I would have to do is reasonably demonstrate the existence of supernatural phenomena. And supernatural phenomena are actually fairly commonplace. I’ve witnessed them numerous times and been a party to them numerous times. I’ve met people who have experienced supernatural phenomena far crazier than anything I’ve ever experienced, and read non-fictional accounts about many others. I can spend hundreds of thousands of pages describing events that have unquestionably occurred that cannot be reasonably explained by anything other than the existence of God, but considering humans’ often skeptical nature, the best possible way to prove the existence of supernatural phenomena is, of course, to demonstrate such things. That’s not easy to do through an article. Please take my word for it.

Now, starting with the assumption that God exists, it seems fairly reasonably to think that he created the living species on earth more or less as they are. Sure, there are some fossils that seem to represent intermediary stages between some creatures, but these could easily be extinct unique creatures. We scarcely have fossils for all the supposed evolutionary stages after all, and for many creatures, there are no “intermediaries.” Sure, there are genetic similarities between humans and other creatures, but why wouldn’t that also be the case if they were created? Sure, a lot of traits in humans and others creatures seem well-adapted to their environments, but that could equally be evidence for creation. Consider also negative adaptations like blindness. The fact of the matter is that all the evidence that exists for evolution is easily consistent with creation, and a decent amount of that evidence for evolution is also evidence for creation. Many people say the theory of evolution is the best explanation for life on earth, and it is, if you are willing to arbitrarily ignore God.

I have implied above that God’s existence and the existence of evolution are mutually exclusive. That is my stance. Many fellow-believers in God believe the two are not exclusive and believe in some kind of divinely aided evolution. That is a perfectly reasonable point of view. Atheism is actually also a very reasonable point of view, especially if you’ve never ever seen a miracle before. For an atheist, evolution is doubtlessly the best explanation for life on earth. I just want to show the public how it is that a rational person who understands evolutionary science can believe in creationism. All I ask is that biologists stop acting like evolution is a fact of the universe. Evolution is a theory that has a lot of merit, but creationism also has merit because the facts fit just as well with it, especially considering the utter complexity of life. DNA has a powerful built-in error-checking mechanism, c’mon. You’re going to tell me it’s far more likely that was developed by chance?

Ed Reep is a Rutgers Business School senior majoring in supply chain and marketing science with minors in business and technical writing and economics. His column, “Philosophies of a Particular American,” runs on alternate Mondays.

Comments

Rules of Conduct
  • 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.