Goodale goes for 100th win with Winston out

Senior 184-pounder Dan Rinaldi is not a person to look ahead. But that did not stop him from becoming excited about what could be if the Rutgers wrestling team is able to defeat Drexel tonight.

“If [head] coach Goodale could get his 100th win, that would be pretty sweet.” Rinaldi said.

With the victory, Goodale will become the third coach in Scarlet Knights history to reach the milestone, with only John Sacchi, Deane Oliver and Dick Voliva as the other members of the club.

Goodale is not worried about that right now. Instead, it is the Knights’ last road dual meet that is his concern.

“You have to keep getting better,” Goodale said. “At this point of the year you want to wrestle your best and let it carry over to March. They say it’s all about March, well, at some point everything needs to click and [you] forget about the opponent.”

Drexel owns an 8-10 dual record this season, but its 33-6 loss against Bloomsburg on Nov. 24 shed more perspective on just what type of match this can turn out to be for Rutgers.

Rinaldi understands this, so the Knights will have a different mindset for tonight’s match.

“We just have to worry about ourselves individually for this match,” Rinaldi said. “If you put up points you have to put up more points, and if you’re not supposed to win then you have to knock someone off.”

The Knights will have opportunities in that department, with Drexel sporting two grapplers ranked in the AWN poll.

Brandon Palik is No. 19 in the 197-pound weight class while 141-pounder Frank Cimato is No. 20 in his.

While Goodale would like to see upsets at those spots from junior Dan Seidenberg and sophomore Trevor Melde, respectively, it is 157 pounds that provides the most intrigue.

Goodale said Scott Winston will most likely not suit up, meaning one of his more decorated wrestlers will miss his second straight match with an injury. He did not participate in the Knights’ 18-16 upset of Bloomsburg last Friday.

Freshman Mikey Simmons will replace him in the lineup again after being pinned against Bloomsburg’s Frank Hickman.

Goodale does not want him to think back to the loss, nor does he want the rest of his wrestlers to regress despite their opponent.

“I want to make sure that when all 10 guys take the mat, that they believe they can win and perform to a level that we’re are satisfied with,” he said. “If somebody does not wrestle well, we want to understand the reasons so we don’t take a step back.”

The match will be different from most away matches, as the Knights will only have to travel down the New Jersey Turnpike to Philadelphia to compete against Drexel.

That means they will not have to spread their training over two nights, since they do not have to stay for more than a day. Rutgers will train before they take the mat.

The only thing Rinaldi wants to think about is getting his coach his 100th win along with a match victory of his own.

“We try not to,” Rinaldi said of if Rutgers thinks about the different circumstances. “We try to go through the same routine for every match and do our jobs.”

For more information on the Rutgers wrestling team, follow Bradly Derechailo on Twitter @BradlyDTargum.