Senior returns as starter after two-year absence

5124469787fc2.image

Senior righthander Charlie Law went six innings in Rutgers’ 7-0 loss Sunday to Miami. Law, who underwent Tommy John surgery in 2010, started on the mound for the first time since his sophomore season when he redshirted.

For Charlie Law, Sunday has left a bittersweet taste in the senior righthander’s mouth.

“I would have liked a better result out of it, but it felt good to go out there and compete again,” he said.

Law lasted six innings in the Rutgers baseball team’s 7-0 loss to Miami, completing a three-game sweep by the Hurricanes.

And although he allowed four runs on six hits, it was his first start since the 2010 season.

Photo: The Daily Targum

Sophomore outfielder Vinny Zarrillo was the only player to have a higher batting average than Law, who also designated hit, in Rutgers’ series against Miami. 

Head coach Fred Hill saw a lot of positives from the Mainland, N.J., native for the amount of time between his last two starts.

Hill had problems with where the ball was landing.

“Charlie Law was throwing the ball really well, but his location has to be better,” Hill said. “He kept the ball down pretty well, and I think he is going to be a plus for us.”

Law issued two walks in his six innings of work, a statistic Hill said affected his whole pitching staff in the series.

In Law’s case, Hill chalks it up to the lack of exposure Law has had in a starting capacity.

“The key thing is location,” Hill said. “He hasn’t been on the mound for so long and made some pitches with good velocity — just in the wrong spot.”

After suffering an arm injury during his sophomore season in 2010, Law underwent Tommy John surgery to repair the damage.

Hill redshirted him for the 2011 season and Law returned to action last year, primarily as a designated hitter and relief pitcher.

He made 11 appearances out of the bullpen, compiled a 6.35 ERA and went 1-3 in limited action on the hill.

His presence last season was more on the offensive side, where he batted .273 with two home runs and 19 RBI.

Law was the Knights’ second-leading hitter against Miami over the weekend, with a .333 average, worse than only sophomore outfielder Vinny Zarrillo’s.

But making his debut as a starter was Law’s biggest vindication.

“After last season, my role was jumping around as a relief pitcher and with having the injury,” Law said. “It felt good to come out and establish myself as a starter.”

The No. 3 spot in the starting rotation was one of the questions Hill wanted answered in the early goings of the season.

Hill said that junior righthander Charlie Lasky and senior righthander Nate Roe pitched well for Rutgers in the three-game series and remain candidates for the spot as Hill continues to see where they fit.

But for right now, Law will remain the No. 3 starter.

“I think the same three starters will start next week and we will go from there and see what happens,” Hill said. “[Law] will be a plus for us.”

As for how his arm feels after his start, Law is optimistic. He has waited two seasons for the opportunity.

“My arm feels fantastic,” Law said. “It feels really good.”

For more updates on the Rutgers baseball team, follow Bradly Derechailo on Twitter @BradlyDTargum.