April 23, 2018 | ° F

Stags provide opportunity to improve possession

The Rutgers women’s lacrosse team returns home tomorrow to face Fairfield after the Scarlet Knights suffered their first loss of the season.

Temple defeated Rutgers on Wednesday in a game in which the Knights failed to hold onto a second-half lead.

“We just weren’t able to pull this one together,” said senior co-captain Stephanie Anderson following Wednesday’s game. “Obviously we need to work on some things in practice and focus on ourselves and work together as a team.”

The loss brings the Knights’ record to an even 1-1, but the quick turnaround gives the team a chance to bounce back from the defeat.

For Rutgers, it’s about getting back to basics.

“We lost because of the little things,” said senior co-captain Lily Kalata. “We need to start working on the things we’re good at and really capitalize on our strengths.”

Anderson and junior midfielder Katrina Martinelli both contributed three points in Wednesday’s loss.

Anderson said the team lost focus on the fundamental aspects of its game.

The Knights only scored seven goals against Temple. They can attribute their lack of offense to their overall lack of possession.

Temple controlled the pace of the game and the Knights were forced to spend most of their time in the defensive zone.

While it is still early in the season, Rutgers has yet to put together a consistent 60-minute effort.

In its first game Feb. 10 against Manhattan, the Knights began committing fouls late in the first period and allowed the Jaspers to keep the game close at halftime.

Against the Owls, Rutgers surrendered a two-goal lead when Temple strung off four straight goals in the second half.

Head coach Laura Brand-Sias thinks the team is not too far off from competing up to its capability.

“The things we need to fix are definitely fixable,” she said, “so we’re going to have to work harder for the next couple of days to get some things together and fix some things to make sure we’re prepared for [Fairfield].”

The Stags enter the match on the heels of a similar defeat.

Fairfield fell to Hofstra, 8-7, in overtime, and is now 1-1 on the season.

The Stags could not hold onto an early two-goal lead in the first half. They lost a 7-6 advantage in overtime before allowing two straight goals to take the defeat.

Attacks Chloe Mangan and Melanie Raso lead Fairfield, having scored two goals apiece last time out.

The duo led the team in scoring last year, when Raso tallied 36 goals and Mangan scored 32.

By Ian Erhard