Board of Governors divides funds from Bond Act for facility projects

The Board of Governors adopted a list of priority facility projects last Thursday that will use more than $410 million of funding through New Jersey’s Higher Education Capital Facilities Program for construction and renovation, according to Media Relations.

“All of [the projects] are in alignment with the academic priorities of Rutgers and with the state’s priorities to expand and strengthen New Jersey’s capacity in the fields of health care, life sciences and technology,” University President Robert L. Barchi said.

The Wright-Rieman Chemistry and Chemical Biology Building on Busch campus will replace outdated chemistry facilities, featuring state-of-the-art research labs and areas for teaching and instructional support.

An addition to the Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy on Busch campus will add new classrooms, laboratories, a mock hospital lab and a mock cleanroom. Busch campus itself will receive $26 million worth of renovations for better utility services and improved transportation services.

Rutgers-Newark’s New Jersey Dental School will expand to include 80 dental operation rooms, X-ray rooms, a clinical laboratory and support space for patient reception, clinical faculty and administration. The campus’ New Jersey Dental School Oral Health Research Lab and School of Health Related Professions will be renovated.

Since most of the departments and functions of the life sciences in Rutgers-Newark are spread across campus, the Life Sciences Center will physically link existing facilities, consisting of teaching laboratories and research facilities.

Rutgers-Camden’s facilities cannot support the anticipated enrollment, so the School of Nursing/Science Building will feature specialized instructional spaces to simulate various health care environments and teaching labs for the sciences.

Across all campuses, the University will update equipment that would strengthen research in the study of biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, DNA, genomics, chemistry, computer engineering and materials sciences.

To address growing technology demands for students, the University will enhance wireless services across all facilities, upgrade Rutgers-Camden’s Data Center and upgrade the University’s data network.

By Alex Meier